Top Social

Movie Monday: Guardians of the Galaxy

Monday, August 18, 2014

Guardians of the Galaxy

Directed by James Gunn
Genre: Superhero
Running time: 122 minutes
Released: 2014
by Marvel Studios

After stealing a mysterious orb, American pilot/outlaw hero Peter Quill is hunted down and thrown into an inter-galactic prison. In order to secure his freedom, Quill reluctantly joins forces with alien bandits Drax, Gamora, Rocket and Groot to form an alliance of misfits known as the Guardians of the Galaxy, and with the all-powerful villain Ronan hunting the orb, the fate of the universe is in their hands.

Guardians of the Galaxy is far from your typical superhero movie. Right from the start, you get a feel for its light hearted, cheeky, fun and infectious vibe as Peter Quill, who calls himself Star-Lord (though nobody else does), dances around listening to “Come and Get Your Love” while dressed in futuristic gear and searching a cave for a magical object.

Quill finds a magical orb whose value he does not realize at first, but it makes him a target for powerful forces. He runs into the talking, gun-wielding raccoon Rocket and the living tree Groot who are seeking the bounty placed on Quill as well as Gamora, who was sent by the fanatical Kree warlord Ronan to retrieve the orb. The four of them are forced to team up together along with Drax the Destroyer to assume their role as the Guardians of the Galaxy and prevent Ronan from using the orb to destroy the planet Xandar.

The film is very reminiscent of Star Wars. As James Gunn states, “This was intentionally my version of Star Wars.” Both films show parts of various planets and worlds throughout the heroes’ travels, and there is combat in spaceships and on the ground all while not being too serious. Rocket the Raccoon, who acts tough all the time and is just generally rough around the edges but actually caring inside is like Han Solo, and his sidekick Groot is like Chewbacca.

Most notably, none of the characters in the film are iconic superheroes like Iron Man or Spider-Man. Nevertheless, they feel more human (though none of them are really human except for Peter Quill). All of them have suffered and experienced losses in their life, and they find a family where they least expect it.

I recommend this film to anyone looking to have a fun time.

9 comments on "Movie Monday: Guardians of the Galaxy"
  1. Light hearted and cheeky sounds great, I need to watch this one even though raccoon bothers me on the previews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to see this on Saturday, and I absolutely LOVED it. I thought it was hilarious that such a big named actor like Vin Diesel only says 4 words in this movie, yet his character has such a HUGE impact. Plus, the baby Groot dancing clip at the end was priceless; it's on YouTube now, and I can't stop watching it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen it twice so far (the hubs is a BIG Marvel fan) and thought it was really good, very heart-warming, and like you said-the characters felt more human than anything. I guess because it was all about their insecurities.

    Thanks for the review AUstin!

    Amber Elise @ Du Livre

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVED THIS MOVIE. It was the only one I saw this summer and I really want to go see it again...but I'll probably wait and buy the DVD then watch it ad nauseum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this movie. There were some issues that I didn't notice until after I read a critical yet positive review on Tor.com but overall I think it was fantastic fun and can't wait for more and that soundtrack - yes yes I'm a child of the 80s and adore 80's music!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe I haven't heard that much about this movie, but I'm glad to see your review of it. I'm a Marvel nut, and I think this is right up my alley. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so want to see this, and yeah I was a teen in the 80's with high hair and blue eye shadow so the soundtrack sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVED this movie. Most people I've talked to have loved Groot or Rocket the most, but MAN, Drax was awesome. Who knew taking things literally could be so funny?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. We love hearing from readers! To receive notifications of replies to your comments, just click “Notify me” in the bottom right corner of the comment box to subscribe to the thread! :)