Top Social

Review: Lies My Girlfriend Told Me by Julie Anne Peters

Thursday, June 12, 2014




Lies My Girlfriend 
Told Me
Julie Anne Peters

Genre: YA Contemporary
Hardback: 256 Pages
Publication: June 10, 2014
by Little Brown BFYR




Synopsis

When Alix's charismatic girlfriend, Swanee, dies from sudden cardiac arrest, Alix is overcome with despair. As she searches Swanee's room for mementos of their relationship, she finds Swanee's cell phone, pinging with dozens of texts sent from a mysterious contact, L.T. The most recent text reads: "Please tell me what I did. Please, Swan. Te amo. I love you."

Shocked and betrayed, Alix learns that Swanee has been leading a double life—secretly dating a girl named Liana the entire time she's been with Alix. Alix texts Liana from Swanee's phone, pretending to be Swanee in order to gather information before finally meeting face-to-face to break the news.

Brought together by Swanee's lies, Alix and Liana become closer than they'd thought possible. But Alix is still hiding the truth from Liana. Alix knows what it feels like to be lied to—but will coming clean to Liana mean losing her, too?


Review
◆ A copy was provided by Little Brown for review ◆

Lies My Girlfriend Told Me is a likable story with likable characters.

Following the death of their girlfriend Swanee, Alix and Liana discover each other and the double life that Swanee has been living. Both have been emotionally abused by Swanee and have a lot of pent up sadness and anger. As the only ones who understand what the other is going through, they find themselves drawn to each other. Initially, it's hard to connect with them as they alternately withdrawing and lashing out at the world in their grief. Alix especially because she doesn't provide an adequate explanation for why she was so depressed and in denial about Swanee's death.

I also don't see how Alix and Liana could be so drawn to each other in such a short period of time. Okay, I can kind of understand considering my own relationship experiences, but both of them were so very strongly drawn to Swanee—as in they thought they were holding forever. I'd expected more of a mourning period even after finding out that Swanee had been duping them. There isn't a strong development of the whole Swanee angle, which I expected considering how large of a role she played in the girls' lives, but it's okay since the story is mostly one of recovering, forgiveness, and finding new love.

It also feels like the stealing Swanee's phone and texting Liana angle was made out to be a greater deal than it is. Alix doesn't seem to have a reasong for withholding this bit of information from Liana, and Liana seems overly angry about the "prank texts" she received. It also doesn't come up all that often in the story—to the point that I wonder why it's there at all. It's not the only plot thread that's loosely woven in the story. All in all, there's a lot of potential for complexity in this novel, but it just didn't live up to them and ended up being a quick read. (Which isn't entirely bad.)

One of the greatest things about this novel is how it could be about anyone. As other reviewers have pointed out, you could replace any of the girls with someone else, boy or girl, and the story would be the same. While there is mention of the girls' sexuality, it isn't made out to be a huge deal or factor largely into the plot, which I liked. It's important to have books addressing the issues that come with sexuality, but it's also important to have books that accept it as a part of life.

Overall, Lies My Girlfriend Told Me is an interesting, captivating read once I got past the first pages and was able to form a connection with Alix and Liana. I recommend this as a quick contemporary read that addresses some serious topics.




Additional Information
Series
  • N/A






Content
  • Death
  • Language
  • Kissing, making out, touching


11 comments on "Review: Lies My Girlfriend Told Me by Julie Anne Peters"
  1. I'm not sure how this one flew over my radar, I hadn't heard of it before. I agree about it being important that there are LGBT books where the sexuality isn't an 'issue', it just is. I like the idea of this book, the general plot it, I guess. I'm not sure how big the issues you had would be for me. I'm sure they would bother me a little but I'm thinking I need to try this anyway and see for myself. Thanks for the review and bringing it to my attention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that this is a book that you have to read yourself. The issues aren't entirely big ones and would vary from reader to reader. I hope you enjoy this book, Candace!

      Delete
  2. I've actually been eagerly anticipating reading this one since i liked the cover and title! i hadn't realized LGBT was a thing in this book but i'm glad it's not like THE THING this book deals with because like you said it's important for all LGBT books to not be about LGBT lol
    Great review

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE that it's universal in that it applies emotionally to everyone!

    It's awesome that there's so much diversity this year!!

    Lovely review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've been hearing about a lot of great diverse books recently. It's wonderful :)

      Thanks, Christina!

      Delete
  4. I don't especially like books that deal with serious topics. <---- Did I really just type that?? LOL Sounds like this title's a good choice for those that like that kind of thing though. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha... I understand the sentiment. Books have been my form of escapism for as long as I can remember, and I'm always up for a fun read whereas I need to be in the right mood to read one with more serious themes.

      Thanks, Carmel! :)

      Delete
  5. Great review! Never heard of this book, but it sounds intense. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I wouldn't read it if I want something light. There's a lot of drama going around following Swanee's death.

      Delete
  6. I like that this tale could be written about anyone, and it sounds like the plot itself would stand the test of time.It is a shame some factors didn't feel plausible to you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. We love hearing from readers! To receive notifications of replies to your comments, just click “Notify me” in the bottom right corner of the comment box to subscribe to the thread! :)