Top Social

Review: Icons by Margaret Stohl

Thursday, June 6, 2013



Icons

(Icons #1)
by Margaret Stohl

Genre: Post-Apocalyptic, Sci-Fi Fantasy
Hardback: 428 Pages
Publication: May 7, 2013 by Little Brown BFYR

 



Synopsis

Everything changed on The Day. The day the windows shattered. The day the power stopped. The day Dol's family dropped dead. The day Earth lost a war it didn't know it was fighting.

Since then, Dol has lived a simple life in the countryside -- safe from the shadow of the Icon and its terrifying power. Hiding from the one truth she can't avoid.

She's different. She survived. Why?

When Dol and her best friend, Ro, are captured and taken to the Embassy, off the coast of the sprawling metropolis once known as the City of Angels, they find only more questions. While Ro and fellow hostage Tima rage against their captors, Dol finds herself drawn to Lucas, the Ambassador's privileged son. But the four teens are more alike than they might think, and the timing of their meeting isn't a coincidence. It's a conspiracy.

Within the Icon's reach, Dol, Ro, Tima, and Lucas discover that their uncontrollable emotions -- which they've always thought to be their greatest weaknesses -- may actually be their greatest strengths.


Review

Icons introduces a futuristic world shrouded in mystery with unknown entities in control. It's an interesting concept and had so much potential. However, it failed to deliver for me.

I couldn't relate to the characters at all. Characters can make or break a novel for me, so it's a problem if I don't feel as though I'm getting into the characters minds. At the beginning of the novel, Dol thinks to herself that she loves Ro, but it felt as though she was saying it for the sake of saying it. I didn't know what kind of love she meant, or if she really did love him or if she thinks it only because she thinks supposed to love him. The relationships among the Icon children are confusing. I'm still not sure how and when they all enter this symbiotic relationships where they finally decide they need to work together. And I still don't believe her love with Lucas. She spends so much time hating him only to decide at the end that she does love him after all.

I feel as though the reports at the end of each chapter were unnecessary. The information was interesting, but it could have been incorporated into the novel  in another way. I wasn't always aware of the timeline, so I didn't know where to place the information in my mind. Some of it clicks together at the end because of the last report, but that also meant that I spent the entire novel wondering whether or not to disregard the reports and that if I wanted to fully understand the reports with my new knowledge I'd have to go through the entire book again, which I'm not willing to do.

The story only becomes interesting at the "final battle" of this installment in the series. Unfortunately, it didn't quite work for me if only because I still didn't know what to make of the characters or the scene where Dol connects with the people. Icons does do its job of introducing the concept of the series and promising greater battles to come. However, I never quite connected with the characters and the world. I don't have any further interest in the story and will not be reading future installments.

An ARC was provided by Little Brown for review

4 comments on "Review: Icons by Margaret Stohl"
  1. Sorry you didn't like this. I have an ARC too and plan to read it soon. I'll have to see if I agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm one of the few people on the planet who didn't absolutely love the Beautiful Creatures series, so I don't think this is one I'll pick up. I'm sorry you didn't like it though :/

    -Taylor @ Reading is the Thing

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked Beautiful Creatures but I've been seeing a lot of these less than stellar reviews. I may have to pass on this one. Thanks for reviewing and sorry you didn't enjoy Icons.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. We love hearing from readers! To receive notifications of replies to your comments, just click “Notify me” in the bottom right corner of the comment box to subscribe to the thread! :)