Top Social

Author Interview: Laurie Boyle Crompton

Tuesday, February 19, 2013
Today, I have for you an interview with Laure Boyle Crompton, author of Blaze (or Love in the Time of Supervillains)!



Blaze is tired of spending her life on the sidelines, drawing comics and feeling invisible. She's desperate for soccer star Mark to notice her. And when her BFF texts Mark a photo of Blaze in sexy lingerie, it definitely gets his attention. After a hot date in the back of her minivan, Blaze is flying high, but suddenly Mark's feelings seem to have been blasted by a freeze-ray gun, and he dumps her. Blaze gets her revenge by posting a comic strip featuring uber-villain Mark the Shark. Mark then retaliates by posting her "sext" photo, and, overnight, Blaze goes from Super Virgin Girl to Super Slut. That life on the sidelines is looking pretty good right about now..



Interview with Laurie Boyle Crompton

Tell us a little about yourself and how you got into writing.
I grew up in Pennsylvania in the same town were Blaze’s story takes place but I now live on Long Island near NYC with my family. We have a rustic trailer upstate in New Paltz where we spend summers and weekends and where I do much of my writing. I loved books so much as a kid I think becoming a writer was just a natural progression. When I was in high school I remember reading an essay I’d written to my English class and was amazed when they laughed in all the right places. It was like having a superpower and I’ve loved writing and trying to make people laugh ever since.

It's cool how your classmates were able to encourage you to become a writer. What inspired you to incorporate comic strips in a novel?
When I was in high school I read through my stepfather’s entire huge collection of superhero comics and based Blaze’s dad’s collection on that. I became a total comics fangirl as a result of that exposure and really wanted give a character like that a voice. I was a bit geeky and an outsider as a teen, but thought superheroes like the Silver Surfer and Thor were so cool that I got strength from their stories. That’s one of the places Blaze gets her strength as well.

I agree that fictional characters can be very inspiring. Much of the humor in Blaze is centered around the idea of superpowers, something that we'd all love to have. How did you come up with the idea and how do you feel this develops Blaze as a relatable character?
I always love to ask people what they would choose if they could have any superpower and it really tells you so much about a person. I had one friend who wanted to be invisible so she could listen to what other people said about her when she wasn't around and I think that is probably the worst superpower anyone could ever wish for. Much better off not knowing! Then I have friends who try to figure out some way to incorporate all of the possible powers into one. These are folks who are always trying to play some angle and get away with stuff. In the book I used it as a fun way to explore each character and it’s something I still enjoy discussing.

Haha... invisibility does have the potential to be an awkward power. Blaze is a teenage girl in the process of working out who she wants to be. What do you feel is her biggest challenge going through life during the time that we get to know her and what do you feel helps her overcome her self doubts?
I think being stuck driving her brother and his friends around in the beginning of the book is a challenge, but it’s one she makes the best of and instead of being bitter or cruel she has fun with the boys. Thinking she should be more popular or having more cool experiences is something that a lot of teens feel. Even though the cretins are younger she has a genuine relationship with them and I think that through nurturing them she rescues herself in a way. She makes some big mistakes, but she takes responsibility and stands up for herself.

I respect how Blaze grows over the course of the novel. Seeing her learn from her mistakes and stand up for herself is what won me over. Using lines from the novel, tell us about a couple of your favorite characters.
When Blaze drops the cretins off at their soccer game at the beginning of the book and commissions them to go forth I think you get a good idea what each of them is like just by the nicknames she gives them. Josh is her awesome little brother who she calls the Nuclear Dynamo. Dylan, the Colossal Hormone is obsessed with girls (particularly older ones). Andrew, the Galactic Goalie is super responsible and mature. And Ajay the Ozone Destroyer is pretty much a fart-bag who is obsessed with farting.

I love how each of the boys has their own superhero names. They're a rowdy bunch, but they're good inside. If you were a superhero, what would your superpowers be and what would you do with them?
I would absolutely pick the power to fly if I had a choice. I’d like to think I’d find some way of making my power useful to save lives and stop crime and stuff but am ashamed to say I’d spend a lot of time just soaring around enjoying the open sky.

What are you working on right now?
I’m thrilled to have more books coming out after Blaze and have been busy getting them all polished up and ready. Next year Sourcebooks will be releasing The Real Prom Queens of Westfield High, which is a reality show farce, and then I have another YA coming out with FSG/Macmillan, which is tentatively titled Adrenaline, about a risk taking girl who is injured while rock climbing who must overcome her fears in order to embrace life again.

Thank you so much for having me! J

Sounds like you have some awesome titles coming out n the near future. I'm looking forward to them.

Thanks for interviewing!




About the Author

Website | Facebook | Twitter
Laurie Boyle Crompton is a YA author who caught the writing bug back in high school and proceeded to graduate first in her class from St. John's University with a major in English and minor in Journalism. Some of her hobbies are hiking, going to the movies, cycling, swimming, and reading. She is represented by Ammi-Joan Paquette of the Erin Murphy Agency.
3 comments on "Author Interview: Laurie Boyle Crompton"
  1. Thank you for sharing the interview. I am really hoping to get this one soon.

    Jenea @ Books Live Forever

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really loved this book! I think I would love to fly too. My family lives far away and it would be nice to be able to just fly over to visit them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. We love hearing from readers! To receive notifications of replies to your comments, just click “Notify me” in the bottom right corner of the comment box to subscribe to the thread! :)