Saturday, November 24, 2012

Imaginary Chats: Rediscovering Tamora Pierce

Yesterday, I was playing editor and looking over my brother's college app essays, so I didn't get to this till now. It's still hard to believe that he's all grown up and looking at places to go. It feels as though time passes faster and faster with each year. And now with finals coming up (in less than two weeks!), my brain's pooped from studying, so I'm going to keep this short.

I've been working on my final presentation for my fiction writing class where we're to present on a writer with the only criteria being that s/he has had to have published an anthology of short stories. I don't typically read short stories; if I do, it's an anthology compiling stories from various authors, so I was having trouble with this. Then I remembered that an old favorite of mine has a story collection and from a favorite world of mine. Yep, it's Tamora Pierce with Tortall and Other Lands.

Reading her blog, searching her website and interviews with all has renewed my love for Tortall and everything else by her. I still remember browsing my middle school library and discovering Alanna's world. After that, I checked out everything I could find by Tamora and have been an avid follower of her since.

My project is about why Tamora Pierce is important to readers and writers everywhere and how she inspires my own writing. I know why she is important to myself. Now, I'd like to ask those of you who also read her books - why is Tamora Pierce an important writer to you and how do you feel she impacts the book community? It'd be really helpful to me to get your feedback!

I'll return to answering reader questions December 14th, after my finals are over. In the meantime, feel free to ask a question through the form below, and I'll get to it ASAP!


Ask Me A Question

Have a question for me?
Click here to go to the contact form and ask your question today!

6 comments:

  1. The Song of the Lioness is one the first teen (now called YA) series I read, and I’ve been following Tamora’s work ever since. One of the reasons why I love her novels so much is because of the female characters. Alanna, Thayet, Daine, Keladry, and Aly practically became my role models while growing up. These are strong girls and women who fight for what they believe in and aren’t afraid to get in trouble, in a world that doesn’t look too kindly upon women. I guess, what impressed me the most about Tamora’s work is that though its fantasy I could totally apply the lessons these young characters learned while growing up. It’s one of the reasons I write too. I wish to inspire and that one day others can see my characters as role models. Even now, I still go back to read The Song of the Lioness or Tricksters whenever I need inspiration to create kick ass female leads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Tamora's heroines are entirely relatable and show how us girls can do anything we want to do if we put our minds to it and have supportive friends. I looked up to her heroines growing up, and they're my role models as well. When I'm looking for a good book to read, Tamora's books are the ones I turn to first :)

      Delete
  2. I re-read everythign of Tamora's at least once a year. I love her stories. She is the best namer in my book. Favorites of mine are Veralidaine Sarasri, Numair Saladin, Thayet, and Keladry of Mindelan. All her names are excellent.She and Robin McKinley created a site called Sheroes about real life female heroines. I can't wait for her next book. Imagine my surprise when I discovered one of her best friends is Bruce Coville who I heard speak last year at SCBWI.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love her naming choices as well! I hadn't heard of the site before, but I'm looking at it now. I really admire how Tamora not only creates such amazing, realistic heroines but also celebrates real life heroines. It's something that still isn't being done enough despite recent advances for women's rights.

      Delete
  3. Oh man, you made ma all nostalgic now! I remember going to the library when I was young and pretty much putting every one of her titles into my check-out bag. I LOVED Tamora Pierce and I definitely agree that she is important for young readers and writers.

    I need to reread some of her stuff. I'm sad that I fell off of the Pierce wagon somewhere in Song of the Lioness. I didn't like where the story was headed. ):

    Amber Elise @ Du Livre

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm making myself nostalgic as well! I'm planning on rereading Tamora's books after my finals. It's going to be hell catching up on reviews at the same time since I have to postpone reading review books until after finals as well, but her books are totally worth it!

      I'm sorry to hear that Song of the Lioness wasn't for you. It was the series that got me hooked on Tamora's writing. I've other favorites now, but I still love the quartet. What are your favorite Tamora books? :)

      Delete

Thanks for commenting. We love hearing from readers!