Top Social

Review: False Memory by Dan Krokos

Friday, October 19, 2012
False Memory (False Memory #1)
by Dan Krokos

3 Stars: A Good Read
Publication: August 14, 2012
Pages: 336
Author: Website | Facebook | Twitter
Publisher: Hyperion
Buy it: Amazon | KindleB&N | Book Depository

Miranda wakes up alone on a park bench with no memory. In her panic, she releases a mysterious energy that incites pure terror in everyone around her. Except Peter, a boy who isn't at all surprised by Miranda's shocking ability.

Left with no choice but to trust this stranger, Miranda discovers she was trained to be a weapon and is part of an elite force of genetically-altered teens who possess flawless combat skills and powers strong enough to destroy a city. But adjusting to her old life isn't easy--especially with Noah, the boyfriend she can't remember loving. Then Miranda uncovers a dark truth that sets her team on the run. Suddenly her past doesn't seem to matter...when there may not be a future.

One look at the cover and the synopsis got me sold on this book. I love a good thriller, and it seemed like I was going to get plenty of action and thrills with thisbook. After having read the book, I can say that there is a lot of intrigue built into the story. Characters aren't always who they seem to be, and there is so much more behind Miranda and those like her than being genetically-altered teens. However, the way that the story was written doesn't live up to my expectations. The plot takes too long to build, and the characters talk younger than their years. Given their strict upbringing, I was expecting the group to act and talk more like soldiers.

Miranda's characterization was pretty well done. She's fierce and holds her own against the boys; at the same time, there are these soft edges around her that expose her vulnerabilities. She can be quick to go with the flow, but I can see how it's necessary for the plot. Being an amnesiac, Miranda can't really act much on her own until she gets a better grasp on what's going on. Even after learning more about who she is and what she's meant to do, Miranda's group has been kept in the dark on some important matters, and the book is mostly about them uncovering the creation of the Roses, which makes me think that this book is setting up for a bigger, greater mystery to come.

What really brings the story to life is cast of characters surrounding Miranda. It's sad how she can't remember more about these wondrously fun people. They are great friends and people who you can count on to watch you back in a fight. There's a bit of a love triangle, though not the kind I was expecting. There's a bit of an odd development that comes in towards the end, and while I feel as though things don't get quite resolved on this matter, it doesn't look like there's more that needs to be said on this account.

The secrets are more complex than I initially imagined and most of them come out towards the end of the novel. This was pretty frustrating for me as so little gets covered over the span of the book, and most of it is farily predictable. This is a debut novel, however, so some leeway should be given. Overall, Dan Krokos has created a fascinating world in False Memory. Much creativity has gone into the development of the Roses, including scientific explanations for the abilities of the teens, and the end promises more action to come. I'll be on the lookout for book two, False Sight!

A copy was provided for review by the publisher
5 comments on "Review: False Memory by Dan Krokos"
  1. I just love when secondary characters are so epic!!! I've heard so many awesome things about this book that I do have to pick it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. Characters can make or break a story. I can't wait to see more of them in False Sight! :)

      Delete
  2. I saw him at Decatur Book Festival, and the way he spoke, it made me want to read this. Your review made me want to read it even more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! This book sounds really interesting - I'm looking forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. We love hearing from readers! To receive notifications of replies to your comments, just click “Notify me” in the bottom right corner of the comment box to subscribe to the thread! :)