Top Social

Review: Once by Anna Carey

Tuesday, June 26, 2012
Once (Eve #2)
by Anna Carey

Publication: July 3, 2012
Pages: 320
Author: Website | Facebook | Twitter
Publisher: Harper Collins
Buy it: Amazon | KindleB&N | Book Depository

When you're being hunted, who can you trust?

For the first time since she escaped from her school many months ago, Eve can sleep soundly. She's living in Califia, a haven for women, protected from the terrifying fate that awaits orphaned girls in The New America.

But her safety came at a price: She was forced to abandon Caleb, the boy she loves, wounded and alone at the city gates. When Eve gets word that Caleb is in trouble, she sets out into the wild again to rescue him, only to be captured and brought to the City of Sand, the capital of The New America.

Trapped inside the City walls, Eve uncovers a shocking secret about her past--and is forced to confront the harsh reality of her future. When she discovers Caleb is alive, Eve attempts to flee her prison so they can be together--but the consequences could be deadly. She must make a desperate choice to save the ones she loves . . . or risk losing Caleb forever.

Eve's growth since leaving the school is apparent. More and more, she's taking charge of her life. Some of her decisions are questionable; however, she isn't about to let the City take over her life, which I respect. I can't say very much without spoiling the plot twist and who Eve is (so this'll be a short review), but she's going to get entangled in City politics because of the King's interest in her. Eve and Caleb will be pushed together and apart, and I have no idea what's going to happen to them now.

The romance plays a large role in the novel. After finding Caleb in the City, Eve meets with him many times despite the dangers, and their relationship and feelings for each other grow stronger. I love Caleb and was delighted to see his return in addition to some of Eve's girl friends from book one. Still, too much of a good thing can overpower everything else. Where I was interested in learning more about City politics and the world it has become, I feel as though the novel was more focused on whether or not Eve would find a way to be together with Caleb or be forced into another arrangement.

That said, the the writing is as beautiful, vivid, and haunting as in book one, and the emotions powerful. By the thirty-first chapter, I was tearing up over Eve's situation and sacrifice. Much of the plotting done in Once is more in preparation for events to come. I love the world that Anna Carey has built in the Eve trilogy and cannot wait to see what will hapen in Rise.


Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the publisher. No payment was received in return for a review. The receipt of the book had no influence on the opinions expressed in my review.
3 comments on "Review: Once by Anna Carey"
  1. Great review, Kris! I'm really excited to read Once. I really enjoyed Eve and the ending just about shattered my heart. I'm imagining all the intense twists and complications that'll be in this book.. Should be good! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa! I know!! The ending to Once is even more heartbreaking. I want Rise in my hands RIGHT NOW, so I can figure out what's going to happen and if everything's going to turn out all right!!

      Delete
  2. This book sounds beautiful.I haven't started this series yet and I am really looking forward to it. I can't wait to pick them up asap. Thanks for the review....I have heard nothing but great things about these books.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. We love hearing from readers! To receive notifications of replies to your comments, just click “Notify me” in the bottom right corner of the comment box to subscribe to the thread! :)