Top Social

Review - Dark Kiss

Saturday, June 2, 2012
Dark Kiss (Nightwatchers #1)
by Michelle Rowen

Publication: May 29th, 2012 (Hardback)
Pages: 438
Author: Website | Facebook | Twitter
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Buy it: Amazon | KindleB&N | Book Depository

I don't do dangerous. Smart, über-careful, ordinary Samantha-that's me. But I just couldn't pass up a surprise kiss from my number-one unattainable crush. A kiss that did something to me...something strange. Now I feel hungry all the time, but not for food. It's like part of me is missing-and I don't know if I can get it back. Then there's Bishop. At first I thought he was just a street kid, but the secrets he's keeping are as intense as his unearthly blue eyes. If he's what I think he is, he may be the only one who can help me. But something terrifying is closing in, and the one chance Bishop and I have to stop it means losing everything I ever wanted and embracing the darkness inside me....

Dark Kiss blurs the lines between good and evil in a world where the number of souls in Heaven and Hell must be balanced in order to maintain stability. IIt is entirely possible for angels and demons to work together, and Bishop's group is made up of demons and angels working together to save the world from the "Source." They just have a natural aversion towards one another. Samantha becomes mixed up in the conflict when the "Source" takes an interest in her and has one of her underlings turn her into one of them.

I have conflicting feelings towards this novel. I didn't click with the characters. Bishop tries too hard to be the hero, but he believes that he isn't a good person inherently and it seems to have something to do with his human life. As for Samantha, I never really felt like I got to know her or her normal life. From the moment she meets Bishop, it seems as though her life revolves around him and his mission. The romance between the two of them develops too quickly to be believable. My favorite character is Kraven. He is a demon and a bit of a bad boy; however, he's the most real out of all the other characters. He doesn't give his trust quickly and isn't afraid to voice his opinion.

I do love the plot and how being an angel or a demon doesn't necessarily make someone good or bad. Throughough the novel, I continued to ponder over Bishop's reason for coming down to Earth. I couldn't believe that he would reveal the purpose behind his mission to Samantha right away, especially after finding out what she's become. I was right. There aren't many subplots and plot twists, the romance isn't particularly electrifying, and this isn't the best angel-demon book that I've read. Nevertheless, it does make a unique addition to angel-demon mythology in YA lit. Readers who love reading new takes on angels and demons might be interested in picking this up.



Disclaimer: I received an ARC of this book from the publisher. No payment was received in return for a review. The receipt of the book had no influence on the opinions expressed in my review.
4 comments on "Review - Dark Kiss"
  1. Great review, Kris. Thanks for being honest. Most of the reviews I've seen are sort of like yours. People don't seem to be loving this book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The title Dark Kiss screams awesome. So does the cover, and when I started reading I knew I was right about the title implying this was going to be a deliciously wicked novel. Awesome storyline, awesome characters. Michelle Rowen is an awesome author, and she has written one awesome novel. Okay, with all that awesomeness out of my system, I can now tell you just how much I love Dark Kiss. Let me start with the characters. Samantha (Sam), Bishop, Kraven, Roth, Zach, Connor, and Carly and so many more, but these are the ones I fell in love with the most. Sam is the kinda shy, loner girl who really is tough. Bishop is the head angel who's in charge of this heavenly mission with two more angels: Zach, who a healer and Connor, the smart ass. Then there're the demons, Kraven, who is the good/bad boy and Roth, who is just a mean jerk, and they all are working together. Carly is Sam's cool best friend. Thank you Michelle Rowen for this incredible novel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Julie: Yeah, it didn't quite live up to my expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I've been dying to get my hands on this novel, I dunno why but for some reason it's near the top of my summer reading list. Anyways, I kindof had this feeling that I'm putting too much hype behind the book and by reading your review I honestly think I am. I usually agree with your thoughts and opinions, so knowing that you only think the book is alright kindof brought me back from my bubble, so thanks! I plan on reading the novel soon...I want to see my opinion of it after I read it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. We love hearing from readers! To receive notifications of replies to your comments, just click “Notify me” in the bottom right corner of the comment box to subscribe to the thread! :)