Top Social

Book Review: Pretty Crooked

Thursday, March 22, 2012
Pretty Crooked (Pretty Crooked #1)
by Elisa Ludwig

3 stars: A Good Read
Publication: March 13, 2012 (Hardback)
Pages: 358
Author: Website | Facebook | Twitter
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books (Imprint of Harper Collins)
Buy it: Amazon (Hardcopy) | Kindle | B&N | Book Depository

Willa’s secret plan seems all too simple: take from the rich kids at Valley Prep and give to the poor ones.

Yet Willa’s turn as Robin Hood at her ultra-exclusive high school is anything but. Bilking her “friends”-known to everyone as the Glitterati-without them suspecting a thing, is far from easy. Learning how to pick pockets and break into lockers is as difficult as she’d thought it’d be. Delivering care packages to the scholarship girls, who are ostracized just for being from the “wrong” side of town, is way more fun than she’d expected.

The complication Willa didn’t expect, though, is Aidan Murphy, Valley Prep’s most notorious (and gorgeous) ace-degenerate. His mere existence is distracting Willa from what matters most to her-evening the social playing field between the have and have-nots. There’s no time for crushes and flirting with boys, especially conceited and obnoxious trust-funders like Aidan.

But when the cops start investigating the string of burglaries at Valley Prep and the Glitterati begin to seek revenge, could he wind up being the person that Willa trusts most?

Willa is a fun character. Not only does she have a captivating voice, she's a character balancing precariously on the thin line of morality. She makes choices that I would make; other times, I want her to change her mind. Nevertheless, I respect her desire to give to the poor what the rich really don't need, especially as the mean girls are mean mean. I have no problem with Willa taking from them.

I admire Willa's desire to help the poor by stealing from the rich, and I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't entertained with the scenes where Willa... takes (steals) ... from people. It was interesting learning how the social system at Willa's school worked. I do wonder what Willa sees in Aidan, however. I can't see whatever she's seeing. There are nicer guys out there, and I'm hoping that she opens her eyes a little in the next book. Something else that I'm hoping to see resolved is Willa's mother and her suspicious behavior.

Pretty Crooked poses one big moral question. Is this right, or is this wrong? I constantly asked myself if I would do the same thing in Willa's place and whether or not she was in the right or wrong with her actions. There were some things that I wouldn't have done, but other times I found myself agreeing with Willa's decision even if I wasn't completely sure that it was morally right. Overall, Willa's character is a little young and naive for me, but her story makes for a quirky, light read for those of you looking for one.


Disclaimer: I received an ARC of this book from the publisher. No payment was received in return for a review. The receipt of the book had no influence on the opinions expressed in my review.
3 comments on "Book Review: Pretty Crooked"
  1. Hello :) I'm your follower. I made a new blog with reviews yesterday. I just posted my first review! Would be amazing if you could check it out :) I would be really happy for any follow, comment, criticism! I'm newbie, so I really appreciate any help!

    Sorry if my comment bothers you in any way :) You can delete if it does.

    Have a nice day!

    Here is my first review!
    http://disincentive-reviews.blogspot.com/2012/03/01-vampires-of-hollywood-adrienne.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this modern-day retelling of Robin Hood!

    So cool! And it's great when a character has a unique voice.

    I'm reading Unraveling Isobel by Eileen Cook now, and the main character has an awesome voice! She's hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. im really intrigued by this boo and I really want to read it, I'm hoping it gets published in the UK first though! great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. We love hearing from readers! To receive notifications of replies to your comments, just click “Notify me” in the bottom right corner of the comment box to subscribe to the thread! :)