Top Social

Book Review: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Saturday, February 4, 2012
Title: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Author: Ransom Riggs
Pages: 352
Source: Review Copy from Publisher (Thank you, Quirk)
Rating: 5 stars - Peculiarly Amazing
Publisher: Quirk
Buy it: Amazon, Kindle, B&N, Book Depository
A mysterious island.

An abandoned orphanage.

A strange collection of very curious photographs.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow—impossible though it seems—they may still be alive.

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows
Oh gods, what can I say about Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children? I don't think I can actually say much right now, on account of my brain being totally functionless at the moment--it just got blown to bits by Miss Peregrine (mind-blown, get it?).

Utterly lame jokes aside, this book was amazing and it blew my mind. I've been wanting this book ever since half a year ago before it was released, and thanks to the powers of cross-Pacific shipping, I finally have this masterpiece in my grubby little hands. After all the hyped up reviews I read about Miss Peregrine, way back in August or the like, I can safely say that this book deserves every single last drop of hype it gets.

The way this book was put together was what made it extraordinary. With a combination of photographs, words, and other visual aids, it put together a story that'll stay in my mind for a while. While the plot is gripping and the narrative well told, without the spine-tingling photography and the odd handwritten letter, Miss Peregrine would've been a good book, and that would've been it. But with them... the horrors in the novel become all too true.

There was one thing I didn't like too much in Miss Peregrine, and that was the only romance there was. Jacob is sixteen and he ends up kissing his grandfather's ex-sweetheart, who is past her eighties (okay, she looks like a teen, but still). I mean, really? A sixteen-year-old and an eighty-something-year-old? And to top it off, she used to be his grandfather's sweetheart.

However, other than that, Miss Peregrine is an unputdownable book I'd recommend to most anyone. The vintage photography coupled with the narrative makes the best horror I've read in 2012 yet.


2 comments on "Book Review: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children"
  1. I really want to get my hands on this book! I looked through it while i was in barnes and noble and I loved the images that were in it!

    crystal @ http://whatrureading.staytruehost.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I blogged this book in a first line/paragraph post. I do want to read it. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. We love hearing from readers! To receive notifications of replies to your comments, just click “Notify me” in the bottom right corner of the comment box to subscribe to the thread! :)