Top Social

Book Review: The Future of Us

Saturday, January 7, 2012
Title: The Future of Us
Author: Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler
Pages: 356
Source: Bought
Rating: 4 stars - Go Read it (;
Publisher: Razorbill
Buy it: Amazon, Kindle, B&N, Book Depository

It's 1996, and Josh and Emma have been neighbors their whole lives. They've been best friends almost as long - at least, up until last November, when Josh did something that changed everything. Things have been weird between them ever since, but when Josh's family gets a free AOL CD in the mail,his mom makes him bring it over so that Emma can install it on her new computer. When they sign on, they're automatically logged onto their Facebook pages. But Facebook hasn't been invented yet. And they're looking at themselves fifteen years in the future.

By refreshing their pages, they learn that making different decisions now will affect the outcome of their lives later. And as they grapple with the ups and downs of what their futures hold, they're forced to confront what they're doing right - and wrong - in the present.
Okay, so historical novels are usually not my forte, even if it's only very, very slightly historical. (I know, 1996 isn't even "historical" but it is older than me though.) I normally despise anything that isn't set in the modern world and The Future of Us comes complete with an ancient computer running Windows 95 and an AOL disk. But seeing as Jay Asher (who wrote one of my all-time favourites, Thirteen Reasons Why) co-wrote it, I couldn't help but give it a chance anyway... and ended up pleasantly surprised.

When Josh and Emma log on to their future through Facebook, they find themselves trying to change their future lives--or keep it that way. What they didn't expect was that every little thing they changed led to drastic differences in their future lives and in the end, it wasn't so much about their future as it was about their present...

I really liked Josh in The Future of Us. He was the boy next door that I couldn't help falling for, and I liked him more than Emma (don't know if it's a girl think, don't blame me). He's way too nice and I pitied him at times. Although I liked Josh more out of our two narrators, Emma's voice was really easy to read, and many of her Facebook revelations were what I felt were the most interesting parts of the story. The proactive way she sought to change her future was something I admired--even if I didn't totally agree with her methods--and were very interesting to read.

The relationships between the characters were the driving force behind the story, although the Facebook twist was what made it unique. Without Facebook (and Jay Asher), I don't think I would've managed to discover this book, although probably would've still enjoyed it.

The Future of Us took me back to the past and into the future with Josh and Emma. Although as I said, I'm not a fan of anything mildly un-modern, I really enjoyed The Future of Us and I think anybody who has Facebook and wants a fun read would too.

5 comments on "Book Review: The Future of Us"
  1. I reserved this at the library and it just came in. I can't wait to read this. Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. This is one I would love to read.


    Nerd Girls at Books to the Sky

    ReplyDelete
  3. great review but bummr it's not accessible here

    ReplyDelete
  4. I plan to read this. I've been looking forward to Jay and Carolyn co writing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm...I remember the days before FB and it was a simpler time then. Mind you, what this makes me think about is what our futures will be like especially when it comes to technology. We're moving very quickly into a world where young children own their own cellphones and are working off of laptops in school. I know, my son is only seven! This book is on my TBR list.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. We love hearing from readers! To receive notifications of replies to your comments, just click “Notify me” in the bottom right corner of the comment box to subscribe to the thread! :)