Top Social

Book Review: All-American Girl

Saturday, January 21, 2012
Title: All-American Girl
Author: Meg Cabot
Pages: 398
Source: Bought
Rating: 4 stars - It Amused Me
Publisher: HarperTrophy
Buy it: Amazon, Kindle, B&N, Book Depository

Samantha Madison is an average, cool Washington, D.C., teen: She loves Gwen Stefani (who doesn't?), can draw like nobody's business, and enjoys being opposite to her sister's annoying ultra-social personality. But when she ditches art class one day, she doesn't expect to be jumping on the back of a wannabe presidential assassin. Soon the young hero is receiving worldwide acclaim for her bravery, having dinner with her family at the White House, and is even being named teen ambassador to the UN. As if this weren't enough, she and David, the president's son, strike up a friendship that everyone wants the dirt on, which starts to give her romantic "frisson" feelings. Unfortunately, Sam thinks her sister's boyfriend, Jack, is the true love of her life, and she makes a few wrong turns that could screw up what she's developing with David. Will she ever stop following what she knows and start following what she sees?
This was a book I read long, long time ago, back when I was a wee little one (not entirely sure if this is the most appropriate book for 10-year-olds, but... oh well).

I loved Sam's voice. It's a breeze to read, it's compelling, and it's easy for most teens to relate to. Again, I remind myself, this is why I read Meg Cabot's books--for her characters that I can't help but love and their fun voices that just get to me. Speaking about characters, David was, of course, the main deal of the story (hello? Hot guy, anybody?) and even as a 10-year-old, I got slightly annoyed at Sam for not immediately getting together with David. If she did, that would defy the whole point of the novel, but hey, a girl can dream.

I felt that the side characters were what really completed this book. Susan Boone was the ultimate Yoda-style sensei who is just plain cute in an older woman way, and Sam's younger sister, Rebecca, spouts trivia 24/7 (I learnt some facts from Rebecca). Each and every one of Meg Cabot's characters came to life and all of them have their own role to play in the story.

The plot--much like the characters--was fun-filled and lighthearted. Although stopping a wannabe presidential assassin does sound a bit far-fetched, it was fun to read, and it kickstarted the whole novel. (And otherwise, we may have never met the president's son!!)

All in all, it's a light novel that made me laugh, and that I read again and again when I was feeling down. I don't think the target audience for All-American Girl was 10yo's, but if a 10yo enjoyed this book, you can too.
3 comments on "Book Review: All-American Girl"
  1. Ah, another fan of All-American Girl! I also read (and absolutely loved) this when I was 10, though I didn't notice much that was inappropriate. Just lots of humor and laughter. I was disgusted by the second book - the only one of Cabot's that I've disliked - because THAT one was inappropriate for the audience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Meg Cabot, though I've never read any of her contemporary work. I've only read her Abandon series. All of her contemporary novels sound fun, though, like this one. Great review! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. We love hearing from readers! To receive notifications of replies to your comments, just click “Notify me” in the bottom right corner of the comment box to subscribe to the thread! :)