Top Social

Review: Hushed by Kelley York

Thursday, December 1, 2011
5 Stars: Incredible
Paperback: 229 Pages
Publication: December 6, 2011 by Entangled Publishing

He’s saved her. He’s loved her. He’s killed for her.

Eighteen-year-old Archer couldn’t protect his best friend, Vivian, from what happened when they were kids, so he’s never stopped trying to protect her from everything else. It doesn’t matter that Vivian only uses him when hopping from one toxic relationship to another—Archer is always there, waiting to be noticed.

Then along comes Evan, the only person who’s ever cared about Archer without a single string attached. The harder he falls for Evan, the more Archer sees Vivian for the manipulative hot-mess she really is.

But Viv has her hooks in deep, and when she finds out about the murders Archer’s committed and his relationship with Evan, she threatens to turn him in if she doesn’t get what she wants… And what she wants is Evan’s death, and for Archer to forfeit his last chance at redemption.

When I started this book, I knew that I would hate Vivian, pity Archer, and love Evan. I was right on the last part. As for the first two... there's some truth in what I said; however, I wasn’t expecting to find myself sharing some of Archer’s feelings about Vivian. Oh, I hated Vivian for using Archer like she did, but there are so many complications surrounding them that I couldn't help feeling a little sorry for her by the time the story ended.

Murder. This book starts with a murder, and murder will lead to the end. Usually, I don't like to read these kinds of books because of the violence aspect. It wasn't the case with Hushed. Archer isn't a serial killer who takes pleasure in what he does, nor does he go around killing people every night. He bides his time, and during these "down times" I got to appreciate him for who he was and appreciate how Evan changes Archer's life.

More than a murder story, Hushed is about the potential for a monster to change.

Kelly York blew me away with her writing talent. From start to finish, Kelley York had me agonizing over the characters in her brilliantly dark and satisfying debut. The characters are so real--so human, so brokenly human--that she had me feeling for even characters that I thought I could only hate.

Hushed is a moving, emotional story centered on broken characters brought to life by a very talented woman. All that is left for me to say is that I will definitely be on the lookout for more books from Kelley York!

Add/Buy

An ARC was provided by the publisher for review purposes

3 comments on "Review: Hushed by Kelley York"
  1. I've been wanting this book ever since I saw it was going up for review. Now I've read the review and I want it even more.

    It's on my TBR list now. Can't wait!

    -- Adrian at adrian_dakota

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited to start this one! It sounds fascinating and I just KNOW I'm going to love it!! Awesome review!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should definitely read it, Adrian. I think you'll like it.

    It's amazing. I can't wait to hear your thoughts about it, Giselle! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. We love hearing from readers! To receive notifications of replies to your comments, just click “Notify me” in the bottom right corner of the comment box to subscribe to the thread! :)