Top Social

Book Review: Uglies

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Title: Uglies
Author: Scott Westerfield
Pages: 425
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Buy it: Amazon, B&N, Book Depository

Everybody gets to be supermodel gorgeous. What could be wrong with that? Tally is about to turn sixteen, and she can't wait. Not for her license -- for turning pretty. In Tally's world, your sixteenth birthday brings an operation that turns you from a repellent ugly into a stunningly attractive pretty and catapults you into a high-tech paradise where your only job is to have a really great time. In just a few weeks Tally will be there.

But Tally's new friend Shay isn't sure she wants to be pretty. She'd rather risk life on the outside. When Shay runs away, Tally learns about a whole new side of the pretty world and it isn't very pretty. The authorities offer Tally the worst choice she can imagine: find her friend and turn her in, or never turn pretty at all. The choice Tally makes changes her world forever.
The fact that I'm reading Uglies here at the end of 2011 makes me wonder why I haven't discovered this book earlier. I polished Uglies off in one night, staying up till 2am reading it.

I loved the idea of everybody turning into Pretties and getting major cosmetic surgery when they're sixteen. There's a huge twist to the operation that turns you pretty that's revealed near the end, and now that I think of it, it's pretty clever.

Although I loved Uglies' plot, I must admit, I wasn't a huge fan of the characters. I really liked Shay and later, David and his parents. But Tally, the one I should've fallen for since she's the narrator, was a bit of a letdown and I found that I liked her a lot more in the beginning than in the end. I couldn't agree with her mindset, and even though that was kind of the whole point of the plot, I didn't approve of it. Also, her friend that turned pretty, Peris, I never really liked him either.

The only other thing that I really loved (other than the plot) about Uglies were the hoverboards. They're like skateboards on air and I found them really cool. I'd give a lot to have a go on one of those, that's for sure.

All in all, I loved the premise, didn't love the voice, but thought it's worth reading if you have the chance. The ending definitely left a lot to be desired but I don't know if I'll be sticking with Tally through another book.

My rating: Borrow, Unless You Have the Money

3 comments on "Book Review: Uglies"
  1. Hmmm... I wasn't a huge fan of Tally, but I actually liked her more towards the end. She was so shallow at the beginning. Though, this is a book aimed at the younger end of the YA spectrum.
    IMO, you should read the next couple books. I enjoyed Pretties much more than Uglies; it builds a lot on that twist you mentioned. I haven't gotten a change to read Specials, yet, but I really want to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I the other books in the series are better, except for The Specials. That was horrid.

    I hear they are making a movie of this series. Should be interesting to see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't sure what i was going to think of this book. It was kind of slow for me but i ended up liking it in the end.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. We love hearing from readers! To receive notifications of replies to your comments, just click “Notify me” in the bottom right corner of the comment box to subscribe to the thread! :)