Top Social

Book Review: Deviant

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Title: Deviant
Author: Adrian McKinty
Pages: 368
Publisher: Amulet Books
Buy it: Amazon, B&N, Book Depository

Danny Lopez is new in town. He made a mistake back home in Las Vegas, and now he has landed at an experimental school in Colorado for “tough cases.” At the Cobalt Charter School, everything is scripted—what the teachers say, what the students reply—and no other speaking is allowed. This supercontrolled environment gives kids a second chance to make something of themselves. But with few freedoms, the students become sitting ducks for a killer determined to “clean up” Colorado Springs.

My rating: Borrow it, people

A killer is around town. Danny and his cat may or may not be the next victims. Sound intriguing? Yeah, thought so. I didn't know if I should be more scared for Danny or his cat though...

Deviant has a gripping plot for sure. From Danny's ├╝ber strict school to the cat kidnapper then right down to that last twist about the killer, there isn't a dull moment in this book.

One thing I love in YA's are male protagonists. And guess what? Danny is male! He's an average fourteen-year-old, hating his new school, falling in love, angry at god-knows-what. It's a refreshing take, and Danny really grew on me, and I ended up liking him a lot.

Deviant is definitely a book I'd recommend everybody to check out at the library. I don't know if you'll keep reading it again and again, and it certainly isn't everybody's cup of tea!

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the publisher for review. No payment was received in return for a review. The receipt of the book had no influence on the opinions expressed in my review.
1 comment on "Book Review: Deviant"
  1. This does sound like something you'd be reading. I hope you liked it!

    -- Adrian at adrian_dakota

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. We love hearing from readers! To receive notifications of replies to your comments, just click “Notify me” in the bottom right corner of the comment box to subscribe to the thread! :)