Top Social

Book Review: Beautiful Creatures

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power, and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.

Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town's oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.

In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.

My rating: Highly Recommended

Have you seen the cover of this thing? B-e-a-utiful! It's even prettier in real life 'cause the purple bits are shiny. All that aside though, Beautiful Creatures is beautiful both inside and out. I bought it in Singapore during my summer holidays and finished it before the plane ride back to Hong Kong was over.

It was a fresh breath of air having a male lead tell the story, especially a love story, after one too many female mc's. l loved how Ethan chased Lena down and kept going after her. The chemistry between the two was very well written and the inexplicable feelings Ethan has towards Lena made me feel as if I was in his head, just as confused, but unable to work against something much stronger.

I wasn't so much into the magical part of the story. However, I did love the mansion and Amma and Macon Ravenwood's history was a detail that made the story really come to life. The prophecy managed to make me roll my eyes though, especially with how it changes at the ending.

All in all, Beautiful Creatures is a book that'll keep your eyes glued to it for hours on end, waiting to see what Ethan and Lena will do next. Although it's a little confusing at the beginning, it'll all make sense by the time you get to the end, and by that time, you'll probably be totally in love with the book too.
6 comments on "Book Review: Beautiful Creatures"
  1. oh I didn't know this had a male protagonist! I love those! I also have to get into this series soon everyone is raving about it. Excellent review!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this book and Ethan's character was amazing. He brought everything alive in this story and I loved having it told through the male's voice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I am so jealous you got to read this series. I have sadly not gotten to this series yet :( This for sure will be my next read :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I still have to catch up on this series. Male POV will probably be my first time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice review!I want to read this book so bad.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. We love hearing from readers! To receive notifications of replies to your comments, just click “Notify me” in the bottom right corner of the comment box to subscribe to the thread! :)