Top Social

Dark YA Blogfest #1 - My Favorite Dark YA Books

Wednesday, November 2, 2011
Favorite Dark YA Books

I tend to fall to the extremes when it comes to books that I love. I love them because they give me warmth and fuzzies, but I also love books when they give me chills down my spine. I love dark YA books that make you think and ponder about life.

Synopsis:
Since mankind began, civilizations have always fallen: the Romans, the Greeks, the Aztecs…Now it’s our turn. Huge earthquakes rock the world. Cities are destroyed. But something even more awful is happening. An ancient evil has been unleashed, turning everday people into hunters, killers, crazies.

Mason's mother is dying after a terrible car accident. As he endures a last vigil at her hospital bed, his school is bombed and razed to the ground, and everyone he knows is killed. Aries survives an earthquake aftershock on a bus, and thinks the worst is over when a mysterious stranger pulls her out of the wreckage, but she’s about to discover a world changed forever. Clementine, the only survivor of an emergency town hall meeting that descends into murderous chaos, is on the run from savage strangers who used to be her friends and neighbors. And Michael witnesses a brutal road rage incident that is made much worse by the arrival of the police--who gun down the guilty party and then turn on the bystanding crowd.

Where do you go for justice when even the lawmakers have turned bad? These four teens are on the same road in a world gone mad. Struggling to survive, clinging on to love and meaning wherever it can be found, this is a journey into the heart of darkness – but also a journey to find each other and a place of safety.

My thoughts:
I didn't want to read this at all. Don't read this the wrong way. I freaking LOVED this book. I was so freaked out at the beginning. Still, I couldn't help reading it anyhow. That's how complicated this book was with me. Out of my 2011 reads, Dark Inside is the creepiest one. It turns mankind's worst enemy against him after all: himself. The book isn't gruesome at all; it's just... chilling. Creepy. Horrific. One big psychological battle within yourself. For more of my thoughts on this, my review is the best place to go.




Synopsis:
Seventeen-year-old Ellie Spencer is just like any other teenager at her boarding school, until a beautiful yet eerie woman enters Ellie's circle of friends and develops an unhealthy fascination with her best friend, Kevin. Ellie herself has an unhealthy fascination--a handsome boy named Mark who seems to have put a spell over her. As shocking revelations and lusts unfold, Ellie finds herself plunged into a haunting world of vengeful fairies, Maori mythology, romance, betrayal, and an epic battle for immortality.

My thoughts:
This is a dark and creepy book, one that I couldn't put down even if it meant reading it at night. Guardian of the Dead is filled with many chilling scenes from mythological entities to serial killings to magical happenings. It is dark because of the mythology behind it and because this is a battle for different ways of life. You can read my review of Guardian of the Dead for more of my thoughts on the book.




Synopsis
Once upon a time there was a girl who was special.

This is not her story.

Unless you count the part where I killed her.


Sixteen-year-old Alison has been sectioned in a mental institute for teens, having murdered the most perfect and popular girl at school. But the case is a mystery: no body has been found, and Alison's condition is proving difficult to diagnose. Alison herself can't explain what happened: one minute she was fighting with Tori -- the next she disintegrated. Into nothing. But that's impossible. Right?

My thoughts
Imagine believing that you're psycho. That you killed the girl that everyone loves. That would freak you out right? This is a dark book. This is an amazing dark book. I loved every moment of it. It's hard to talk about it without giving much away. You could try reading my review, or you could just read the book (or do both)!




Synopsis
What if you were bound for a new world, about to pledge your life to someone you'd been promised to since birth, and one unexpected violent attack made survival—not love—the issue?

Out in the murky nebula lurks an unseen enemy: the New Horizon. On its way to populate a distant planet in the wake of Earth's collapse, the ship's crew has been unable to conceive a generation to continue its mission. They need young girls desperately, or their zealous leader's efforts will fail. Onboard their sister ship, the Empyrean, the unsuspecting families don't know an attack is being mounted that could claim the most important among them...

Fifteen-year-old Waverly is part of the first generation to be successfully conceived in deep space; she was born on the Empyrean, and the large farming vessel is all she knows. Her concerns are those of any teenager—until Kieran Alden proposes to her. The handsome captain-to-be has everything Waverly could ever want in a husband, and with the pressure to start having children, everyone is sure he's the best choice. Except for Waverly, who wants more from life than marriage—and is secretly intrigued by the shy, darkly brilliant Seth.

But when the Empyrean faces sudden attack by their assumed allies, they quickly find out that the enemies aren't all from the outside.

My thoughts:
Glow is one complicated read. It is definitely dark--brilliantly dark. What could be darker than a bunch of kids and a couple teenagers left to fend for themselves in outer space? It's impossible to count the number of times that I despaired over the situations of the boys and girls. The worst part is that Amy Kathleen Ryan leaves us with an enormous cliffhanger and breathless for the next book. For more on my thoughts, you can read my review of Glow.

2 comments on "Dark YA Blogfest #1 - My Favorite Dark YA Books"
  1. Wow! I haven't read any of these. Must add them to my list TBR...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hopping over from the blogfest list. Thanks for sharing these books. I haven't read any of them, but will look into adding onto my wish list.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. We love hearing from readers! To receive notifications of replies to your comments, just click “Notify me” in the bottom right corner of the comment box to subscribe to the thread! :)