Top Social

Book Review: Thirteen Reasons Why

Saturday, October 1, 2011
Title: Thirteen Reasons Why
Author: Jay Asher
Pages: 288
Publisher: RazorBill
Buy it: Amazon, B&N, Book Depository

Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers thirteen cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker, his classmate and crush who committed suicide two weeks earlier.
On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out how he made the list.

Through Hannah and Clay's dual narratives, debut author Jay Asher weaves an intricate and heartrending story of confusion and desperation that will deeply affect teen readers.

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

There's only one word I could say about this book: Wow. With a capital W, yes. It is absolutely brilliant, and even though I spent a mini fortune on it (buying books in HK is so expensive, what with international shipping and all...), I'd gladly spend the same amount again if it meant I'd get another book as good as this.

Hannah kills herself. She leaves a bunch of tapes about why she died. Thirteen reasons. And I was hooked. I wanted to find out why she died, who drove her to that point, what happened.

I really liked how Clay and Hannah both narrated, one in the past, one in the present. Hannah's voice was believable, and lovable. I felt everything she went through, I could understand her. Clay's voice complemented Hannah's perfectly, and throughout the whole story, I just couldn't help wishing Hannah was still alive and was together with Clay. Maybe she'd be fine then, I kept thinking.

Thirteen Reasons Why is a compulsive read. Once I started, I couldn't bring myself to stop. I managed to polish it off in one afternoon, sitting at Starbuck drinking a vanilla latte. I don't want to know what people thought about that lone girl sitting there, tearing up with a book in hand though...

I fell in love with both Clay and Hannah, and I was super disappointed when I flipped the last page and there was no more. I'm definitely looking forward to Jay Asher's new novel (co-authored by Carolyn Mackler), The Future of Us. I'll be pre-ordering it way ahead of time (since I have no patience to wait for HK bookstores to stock up, if they ever do). After Thirteen Reasons Why, I'm ravenous for more of Jay Asher's writing.
 
2 comments on "Book Review: Thirteen Reasons Why"
  1. I loved the double narration as well it was a great way to pace the book and leave the mystery of it all keep you wanting to read. Glad you enjoyed it as much as I did! :)

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome review, I have this one on my tbr and Im determined to get round to it soon! it sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. We love hearing from readers! To receive notifications of replies to your comments, just click “Notify me” in the bottom right corner of the comment box to subscribe to the thread! :)