Top Social

Book Review: Lola and the Boy Next Door

Saturday, October 22, 2011
Title: Lola and the Boy Next Door
Author: Stephanie Perkins
Pages: 338
Publisher: Dutton
Buy it: Amazon, B&N, Book Depository

Budding designer Lola Nolan doesn’t believe in fashion . . . she believes in costume. The more expressive the outfit -- more sparkly, more fun, more wild -- the better. But even though Lola’s style is outrageous, she’s a devoted daughter and friend with some big plans for the future. And everything is pretty perfect (right down to her hot rocker boyfriend) until the dreaded Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket, return to the neighborhood.

When Cricket -- a gifted inventor -- steps out from his twin sister’s shadow and back into Lola’s life, she must finally reconcile a lifetime of feelings for the boy next door.

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

After reading Stephanie Perkins' first book, Anna and the Frech Kiss, I was pretty sure nothing could beat it (and St. Clair's hotness). But then Lola comes waltzing along with Cricket and his skinny pants in tow. And even if it doesn't completely top Anna (I still love √Čtienne St. Clair too much), it's now equal to Anna in terms of how much I love it. I thought that was impossible.

Lola has a rockstar of a boyfriend who's five years older than her. Let me just get this clear--I didn't like Max from the first page. He's a wannabe angsty teen who does pot, has sex with a lot of women, and smokes. Then there's Cricket Bell, brilliant inventor, sweet as hell, lets Lola put nail polish on him (I have no idea why, but I love that about him so, so much), and wears tight-fitting pants. I can't phantom why it took Lola so long to choose. But then again, if she didn't, this book I love so much wouldn't exist.

It was agonizing, waiting for Lola to decide. I couldn't flip the pages fast enough no matter how fast I read (and trust me, that was very fast. I finished the book the night I got it in the mail). I didn't like her at times--well, it's more accurate to say she got on my nerves a lot sometimes--especially when she was stringing poor Cricket along. Calliope Bell was, surprisingly, a character I liked. After you get past her barriers, she's just another girl who doesn't want anything to happen to her brother. Lola's parents, Andy and Nathan, were also a nice touch. I loved how she had two overprotective, gay fathers.

Oh, and did I mention? Anna and √Čtienne St. Clair make an appearance in Lola. They're adorable, as usual. Though in Lola, Lola and Cricket are still a tad cuter. I swear, I could squeal all day and all night about this book if I had enough breath.

I'd recommend Lola and the Boy Next Door to anybody who'd listen to me. It's a story that'll leave you grinning beatifically to yourself (and people around you questioning why you have a silly grin on). Now I can't wait for Stephanie Perkin's next book, Isla and the Happily Ever After... 2012's too far away and I'm hungry for more of Stephanie Perkin's addictive writing. Meanwhile, I'll be wishing for my own Crickets and St. Clairs.

 
5 comments on "Book Review: Lola and the Boy Next Door"
  1. Haha great review!! Omigosh in my review I also pointed out cricket's ability to let a girl paint his nails!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I absolutely loved Cricket! He was sweet and adorable. I think I like him even more than St. Clair, but GASP, THAT'S BLASPHEMY! <3

    Also, following. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, great review!! Soo want to get my hands on this book and I have to say I love that he let her paint his nails, wish my hubby would let me do that :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always wanted this book ! :)It's mostly because I like Anna and the French Kiss very much :))
    Can't wait to get this book :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. He supported his twin sister even though Calliope hogged the family spotlight leaving Cricket unappreciated. He helped his older brother when things went bad for him. He helped Lola even when she tried to ignore him. He cared what Lola's dads thought of him and tried to follow their rules. He's this great guy that has a lot more struggles than anyone would notice from the outside looking in. Forced to move around a lot to support his twin, he was home-schooled and missed out on lots of things. But he wasn't angry or bitter. Cricket is why I keep reading costume descriptions because I really needed to know what happened to him.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. We love hearing from readers! To receive notifications of replies to your comments, just click “Notify me” in the bottom right corner of the comment box to subscribe to the thread! :)