Top Social

Book Review: Anna Dressed in Blood

Monday, October 31, 2011
Title: Anna Dressed in Blood
Author: Kendare Blake
Pages: 316
Publisher: Tor Teen
Buy it: Amazon, B&N, Book Depository

Cas Lowood has inherited an unusual vocation: He kills the dead.

So did his father before him, until he was gruesomely murdered by a ghost he sought to kill. Now, armed with his father's mysterious and deadly athame, Cas travels the country with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat. Together they follow legends and local lore, trying to keep up with the murderous dead—keeping pesky things like the future and friends at bay.

When they arrive in a new town in search of a ghost the locals call Anna Dressed in Blood, Cas doesn't expect anything outside of the ordinary: track, hunt, kill. What he finds instead is a girl entangled in curses and rage, a ghost like he's never faced before. She still wears the dress she wore on the day of her brutal murder in 1958: once white, now stained red and dripping with blood. Since her death, Anna has killed any and every person who has dared to step into the deserted Victorian she used to call home.

But she, for whatever reason, spares Cas's life.

My rating:  5 of 5 stars

Happy Halloween, everybody! Since it's Halloween, here's a scary book for today!

Anna Dressed in Blood has had amazing hype since the day it's been announced. I've been lusting after it since June. Well, let's just say the hype's been lived up to. Anna took me through twists and turns that left me breathless, and in the end, heartbroken.

It's been ages since I've read a guy's perspective in YA (since Beautiful Creatures, to be precise), and it was really refreshing to have a male take on things this time round. Cas was a kick-ass protagonist, and I fell in love with his voice. Also, he sounds really cute--that's always a plus, right?

Surprisingly, it wasn't Cas I fell hardest for. Anna was the one I really, really loved. She's not just a ghost. She knows that she's dead, she can't control the killings, and she's just one damn cute ghost. I loved those midnight conversations between Cas and Anna. Those were probably what made me turn from "I love Anna" to full fangirl mode, which includes too much high-pitched squealing to type out properly.

Not revealing too much, I really loved how the plot went. How it changed halfway from Cas trying to kill Anna to their bittersweet love that nearly made me burst into tears at the end of this book.

For anyone wanting a super-scary ghost story with a love twist, Anna's your read. For everybody else, just read it anyway. You won't regret it, trust me. Anna and Cas are the sweetest star-crossed lovers I've ever seen (or read, rather), and yes, according to me, they're even sweeter than Romeo and Juliet.
 
Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the publisher for review. No payment was received in return for a review. The receipt of the book had no influence on the opinions expressed in my review.
8 comments on "Book Review: Anna Dressed in Blood"
  1. Hikari, you know I don't like horror stories, but you're making me want to read this a whole lot. So much that I'm actually commenting on your review, though I don't usually do this. I blame you if I stay up all night reading this book once I get my hands on it and become one of the living dead when I go to class the next day--if I start reading it on a weekday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're making me want to read it too. I've heard great things about this. Thanks for the review and Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review. I have heard such wonderful things about this book and not one negative.

    Can't wait to finally read it for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been wanting this book for a very long time and today I got an email saying I just won a copy EEEK. Thank you for sharing your review today, but I just skimmed it cause I want all the surprises LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been wanting to read this book for so long! We don't have it at my store right now but it comes out in paperback on the first so I'll be jumping on the opportunity! Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard so many good things about this book but I've still been hesitating to pick it up. I don't usually read horror stories, so this is something new for me. However, I must admit, it does sound sooo good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing review! I've been curious about this book, but I have a hard time getting into ghost books usually. I may have to give this one a try, though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great Review, I've been dying to read this just waiting till i have the money to buy it or....win it lol. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. We love hearing from readers! To receive notifications of replies to your comments, just click “Notify me” in the bottom right corner of the comment box to subscribe to the thread! :)