Top Social

ARC Review: Graffiti Moon

Saturday, October 29, 2011
Title: Graffiti Moon
Author: Cath Crowley
Pages: 272
Publisher: Knopf
Buy it: Amazon, B&N, Book Depository

Senior year is over, and Lucy has the perfect way to celebrate: tonight, she's going to find Shadow, the mysterious graffiti artist whose work appears all over the city. He's out there somewhere—spraying color, spraying birds and blue sky on the night—and Lucy knows a guy who paints like Shadow is someone she could fall for. Really fall for. Instead, Lucy's stuck at a party with Ed, the guy she's managed to avoid since the most awkward date of her life. But when Ed tells her he knows where to find Shadow, they're suddenly on an all-night search around the city. And what Lucy can't see is the one thing that's right before her eyes.

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Let's start off with a rant: Ed and Lucy are so freaking cute! Okay, rant done, onto the review...

First off, I loved Graffiti Moon. I finished reading it on my Kindle in a day, which included reading on minibus rides, MTR (train) rides, at dinner (my mom was not amused), and it was all I can do not to read  it while I was walking. Shadow's graffiti art comes to life in Cath Crowley's writing, Ed has more sides to him than the guy who dropped out of school, and Lucy just wants to find her idol.

Even though Graffiti Moon only takes us through one night in Lucy and Ed's life, that one night still stays with me as the story that was just plain amazing. I loved the double POV between Ed and Lucy, as well as the occasional poem by Leo. Having the story told between the two of them tells the reader a lot more than what the characters know. That made me want to hit Lucy overhead with something hard on more than one occasion and go "Open your eyes, idiot! Realise Ed's the one! Then kiss him or something!"

What really made Graffiti Moon stand out was the way art was woven through the story. Through Shadow's graffiti and Lucy's glassblowing hobbies, I got to see different sides of the characters, and Crowley's writing really makes their masterpieces paint themselves in my mind.

Graffiti Moon's an artsy romance that'll have you whispering "It's him, idiot! Kiss him or something!" desperately to the book (hopefully not in a public place) and nearly bursting with happiness when Ed and Lucy finally get together. I'd recommend it to anyone who'd care. It's definitely a read to look out for in 2012.

Graffiti Moon will be published by Knopf Books for Young Readers on the 14th of February, 2012 (Valentines!!).
 
7 comments on "ARC Review: Graffiti Moon"
  1. It was kind of ridiculous a few times how Lucy didn't realize Ed was into her. But I feel like that's also a reflecion of real life. If we want to be in oblivious land, that's where we put ourselves.

    I loved this book!
    -Jenna @ Fans of Fiction

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently read this book and loved it! I read it in a day, too. I'm glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got this last week I'm really curious about it because ALL my GR friends have been raving about it. I plan to read it very soon. Great review!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally adored everything about this book, it was so beautifully written and Ed and Lucy were so lovable and real (the horror that was their first date had me in stitches!) Once it's out to buy I'm going to be getting everyone I know to buy it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good stuff!

    Thanks for sharing about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The book sounds freakin' amazing :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. We love hearing from readers! To receive notifications of replies to your comments, just click “Notify me” in the bottom right corner of the comment box to subscribe to the thread! :)