Top Social

Seers Blog Tour: Character Interview with Patrick O'Donnell

Tuesday, September 6, 2011
Today, in taking part of the Seers book tour, we have Patrick O'Donnell here to talk a little about himself!

For Kate Bennet, surviving the car wreck that killed her parents means big changes and even bigger problems. As she begins to see auras and invisible people, Kate must learn to trust Patrick O'Donnell, a handsome Guardian, or risk her life being overrun with Demons. She soon realizes that both she and her heart are in big-time trouble.


First, would you introduce yourself to readers?
Of course. My name is Patrick O'Donnell. I was born in Ireland on the 7th of February, in 1780, and I died on June 4th, 1798—so I've been a Guardian for over 200 years now, eternally eighteen. I grew up in Wexford County with a loving family. My father ran the local church, and my mother was a complete angel. My little brother, Sean, pulled me into all sorts of shenanigans when we were young, but he was my best friend all the same. When I was alive, I spent my days painting. After my death, I've discovered how much I love reading.

Soon after becoming a Guardian I left my beloved Ireland, and I haven't returned since. I don't know that I could stand to see the changes that have been made since my death. I've spent most of my time guarding in Europe, but America has been one of my favorite places to live. I first arrived in the States in the 1970s, and I haven't left the country since that time. I'm currently living in New Mexico. It's a great state—a little too warm for me, but at least Guardians can't sunburn.


What is your favorite childhood memory?
When I was 12, my brother and I were beat up by the McCarthy brothers. It happened behind my father's church, and the two of us lost horribly. Strange favorite memory, I know, but I learned a lot about our relationship during that fight. I learned we were both willing to defend each other, no matter the cost. Sean and I were both closer afterward, and that was probably the moment we became best friends.


What was it like getting into Guardian life when you first started? Was there anyone there to help you settle into Guardian life?
It was obviously very difficult. It's quite the adjustment, and there are a lot of rules to learn. Staying invisible around my family was especially hard, but at least I had the opportunity to do so. Some Guardians aren't so blessed with immediate purpose, and as a result many get bored, or have a hard time finding their niche in this new life. At least I had my brother to look after. I think that more than anything helped me adjust to my new reality with relative ease.

And yes, I had help. New Guardians are always paired up with a more experienced Guardian, who acts as a sort of trainer. My first partner was a man named Conor Murphey, and though he's retired from the Demon hunting facet, we manage to keep in touch. He's moved around, but last I heard he's back in Ireland, managing a hotel near Dublin.


What do you enjoy most about being a Guardian? What do you like least?
I like helping people. Whenever I'm able to help a Seer or a human, it just makes immortality worthwhile. The fact that Guardians never get hurt or sick also adds to the appeal. As for what I like least, I'd have to say the separation from my family. Being a Guardian can get pretty lonely if you dwell on what you're missing.


How did you meet Toni and what are your earliest memories guarding with him?
I first met Toni in New York City, in the late eighties. I'd been working alone for a long time, and when I was approached by a senior Guardian with the possibility of getting a partner, I agreed. Sometimes I wonder if I made the right choice, but regardless Toni became my partner. I was told from the start that he was . . . impulsive. I was supposed to be a good influence on him, but I don't think any amount of time with me is going to help him change his ways. He's a thief at heart, and he's gotten us into a lot of trouble. After only two weeks together he got us both arrested when he tried to hijack a police car. I had a hard time talking us out of that one, mostly because Toni looks older than I do. In retrospect, I suppose he has improved a little over time. At least now I only catch him stealing things he can pocket.


We've seen you singing music and flipping through different music stations. What are your favorite musical artists?
I like a wide variety of music. Some of the more notable artists would be The Beatles, Good Charlotte, Goo Goo Dolls, Billy Joel, Owl City, Jack Johnson, The Cars, Plain White T's, Vertical Horizon, and Linkin Park. I also like Tchaikovsky.


You once told Kate that she's taking the Seer business pretty well, that you've seen worse reactions. What was the worst that you've seen?
The absolute worst has to be Cody Flint, from Rushsylvania, Ohio. I was working without a partner at the time, and he was the first Seer I was assigned to in America. Following protocol, I tried to observe him for a time before approaching him. We're supposed to find common ground, and befriend new Seers—make them as comfortable as possible before we explain everything to them. But the fifty-something year old man never left his dilapidated house. I finally called on him, offering to help with his yard. He called me a young rascal and threw rocks at me. I came back every day for a week with the same result. I finally just ducked behind his fence and started yelling to him about the auras he must be seeing, and the next thing I knew I was being shot at. I turned him over to someone else after that, figuring my chances of befriending him were pretty small at that point.


What were your first thoughts when you met Kate for the first time?
I'd been watching over her for a few weeks before school started, but I didn't actually come face to face with her until I walked into American Lit for the first time. Up until that point, she was just another Seer. But when I actually saw her . . . Truthfully, my first thought was how similar we were. She was so young to have her life so completely altered; just like me, when I'd died. The urge to help her was stronger than I'd ever felt before, for any Seer. And I'd be lying if I didn't admit that my second thought was how pretty she was.


When did you first realize that you were truly in love with Kate?
Moving from attraction to love was very gradual for me. I don't think I fully realized the extent of my feelings until our first kiss. Before that, I was just trying really hard not to care about her in that way. But after our kiss, I realized I was fighting a losing battle.

Thanks for dropping by, Patrick!

Heather's Website | Facebook | Twitter
Heather Frost was born in Sandy, Utah, and raised in a small Northern Utah town. She is the second oldest of ten children, and she loves her family very much. She is currently pursuing her bachelor's degree in English. She has always been an avid reader, and reading and writing are among her most favorite things to do. She also enjoys playing the flute, listening to all types of music, and watching a wide variety of movies. Ever since she wrote her first short story—at the age of four—she has dreamed of one day becoming an author. Seers is her first published novel.


Related Posts
My Review of Seers



Seers will be published on October 8, 2011, by Bonneville, an imprint of Cedar Fort. Be on the lookout for it in bookstores!
10 comments on "Seers Blog Tour: Character Interview with Patrick O'Donnell"
  1. I would love to read Seers. Thank you for participating in the tour and sharing about this interesting read today.

    dz59001[at]gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha love the favorite memory! :)
    NIce interview.
    giselle Cormier

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! I can just imagine the accent!! I love how he got rocks thrown at him everyday - - too cute in a way lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love getting to know the characters better with these interviews. Patrick is very enticing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Patrick sounds like I character I will love :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love character interviews, they're pretty awesome as we get to learn more about the protagonists :D I have to say this : Patrick seems pretty hot to me ;D Who wouldn't like a hot Irish guy? Eternally 18? ok, I think I need a napkin as I'm pretty sure I'm drooling already ;)
    He sounds quite charming, too! Ahhh~ I need to get myself a copy of Seers ASAP ;D
    Thanks for this post, it was super fun to read it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very informative. I love learning the background stories on characters it just makes me that more interested to read the books they are in, that is if the character is interesting. Since Patrick seems funny and complicated I'm very interested in reading Seers.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. We love hearing from readers! To receive notifications of replies to your comments, just click “Notify me” in the bottom right corner of the comment box to subscribe to the thread! :)