Top Social

Review: Seers by Heather Frost

Monday, September 5, 2011
4 Stars: A Great Read
Series: Seers #1
Hardcover: 330 Pages
Publication: October 4, 2011 by Bonneville Books

For Kate Bennet, surviving the car wreck that killed her parents means big changes and even bigger problems. As she begins to see auras and invisible people, Kate must learn to trust Patrick O'Donnell, a handsome Guardian, or risk her life being overrun with Demons. She soon realizes that both she and her heart are in big-time trouble.

When I first started this book, I thought that it would be filled with a lot of clich├ęs, what with Kate having lost her parents and starting to see auras after a near-death experience. Then enter hot new Irish guy with a cute accent and a silver aura, someone that Kate finds herself running away from. It seems to be your typical dark-themed paranormal romance books, doesn’t it?

In many ways, Seers is typical of what we expect in today’s YA novels. You have the annoying yet lovable younger sisters, the hot new guy (and romantic interest), bizarre things suddenly coming into your life, and a stubborn girl mourning the loss of family. I have to admit that sometimes I got fed up with Kate trying to get involved with demon hunting when Patrick knows what he's doing. At the same time, Patrick’s Irish character spices the novel with his quaint sense of humor and reluctance to give in to his growing attraction to Kate. I especially loved movie time with him, Kate, and her sisters. Some of his actions seem bizarre when I see them through Kate’s perspective, but when the novel switches to his point of view, it becomes apparent why he acts the way he does.

I love the idea of Guardians, Seers, and Demons. If you’re looking for a new twist on angels and demons or something slightly more lighthearted than paranormal romances with angelic beings such as Hush, Hush and Fallen, try reading Seers.

Come back tomorrow for a character interview with Patrick (only my favorite character in Seers)!

Add/Buy

An ARC was provided by the publisher for review purposes.
15 comments on "Review: Seers by Heather Frost"
  1. Thank you for sharing about this book today. I like to read dark stories, but sometimes I just want something a little lighter. This book sounds like it fits the bill:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm... this is interesting. I haven't really read any books about angels/demons, so maybe this would be a good book to start off with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to read this. It sounds very interesting. I love the theme and think this is something I could really get into. Thanks for the great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. THis sounds really interesting I love YA and I love Paranormal romance. This book is for me! :D
    Love the review!

    Giselle Cormier

    ReplyDelete
  5. And AGAIN, I SAY: Irish boy. *swoons* Although I suppose I should have realized he was Irish because of the name O_o It's fairly obvious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE your review - I love the fact that you point out the novel has 'typical ya paranormal aspects' but at the same time tell us why it is apart from the others. Plus, who doesn't love a cute accented Irish boy? I know I do!!! I can't wait to read this book.

    P.S. I seriously love your review - very honest!

    ReplyDelete
  7. your review makes it sound like a really good read on my tbr pile

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really do enjoy angel/demon books. The mythology is just always so alluring. Sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like the idea of seeing auras, so interesting!! I'm not a fan of angel/demon mytho though, (too much Fallen, Hush Hush, etc..) but maybe Seers can change my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds intriguing, I love all things paranormal :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok, so this book sounds REALLY good! It does seem like something that has been done before (especially now, that Im in the middle of Unbecoming of Mara Dyer - the hot Irish guy, post-traumatic experiences etc..) but I trust your judgement that it's a unique take on all that! Would love to read it and find out for myself.
    Plus I love Cedar Fort - they are publishing more and more awesome titles and I think their taste in books is pretty great :)

    Looking forward to Seers! <3
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us! Loved your review and all the details you provided :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love paranormal books and as long as it has it's own spin on the genre than I will give it a chance. Plus I really like when a novel is from a male and a females perspective. I love getting in the heads of both characters. Plus trying to hear the accent in my head as I read is always fun. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm reading this book right now and it really is good so far! And the funny thing is, the next book on my list is Hush, Hush, so I'm really glad you said that if I like one, I will probably like the other!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. We love hearing from readers! To receive notifications of replies to your comments, just click “Notify me” in the bottom right corner of the comment box to subscribe to the thread! :)