Top Social

Ember Blog Tour: Review

Monday, September 5, 2011
Today, I have for you my review of Ember by Carol Oates.

3 Stars: A Good Read
Series: Ember #1
Paperback: 237 Pages
Publication: July 19, 2011 by Omnific Publishing

When Candra Ember wakes up in hospital after a dangerous encounter with a red-haired woman, she is shocked to discover that seeing a winged boy wasn’t her imagination. Candra is exposed to a world of rivalry and sacrifice she never knew existed, and the aftermath of a war to save humanity thousands of years ago. Soon she finds herself relentlessly stalked by Sebastian, a beautiful and arrogant Watcher Angel and romantically pursued by his darkly seductive rival, Draven. Ultimately, dubious about her own goodness, Candra’s very existence compromises a tentative peace in the city of Acheron.

Ember is a tension-ridden story filled with twists and turns that left me wanting more. From the beginning, Carol had me with the mystery of Candra. Candra is different, but nobody will tell her anything. There are so many questions hanging in the air. There’s the Flame-haired woman from the prologue. Who is she? What does she want with Candra? And who are Sebastian and Draven, and what do they want with her? Sometimes, I sped through the pages, living within the story (especially the love scenes). Other times, I reread paragraphs, lingering over them, wanting to live in the moment.

Initially, Sebastian comes off as a dark, brooding character. I was creeped out by how he hung around Candra. Fortunately for Candra, he isn’t as arrogant as he first appears to be, or she might have regretted falling in love with him. That would make me cry because I really loved watching their romance progress (once Sebastian made me fall in love with him too).

Candra herself starts off as a naïve girl. I’m impressed with how she buckled up when people needed her. She’s an important piece in the war going on, and her choices held major consequences. I honestly don’t know if I could have done as well as she did, putting her own feelings aside for the sake of everyone else.

Ember is a bit on the fast-paced side. The pacing makes it a quick afternoon’s read, but I did wish that I had a little more time with the characters and the story. Hopefully we’ll see a sequel. If not, the ending does a nice job of wrapping the plot.

A copy was provided for review by the publisher.

Add/Buy

Don't forget to check out the blog tour schedule to see other participating blogs and for the chance to win awesome prizes!

What is there to win? Well...
Six random blogs on the tour will be giving away an ebook copy of EMBER (no, Imaginary Reads is not one of them!). Make sure you comment with your email to be entered into the giveaway. RUNNER UP PRIZE: An EMBER canvas tote and print copy of EMBER. GRAND PRIZE: A silver butterfly necklace, an EMBER canvas tote, and an ebook of EMBER. To enter into the GRAND PRIZE and RUNNER UP PRIZE giveaways, you must comment on ALL blog posts with your email during the tour.
19 comments on "Ember Blog Tour: Review"
  1. I love Sebastian in this book. =) Thanks for your review!

    StuckInBooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great story. I think so far we all like the book. Good job Carol! Thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for being part of the tour. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice, I need to get caught up on my reading! Your review makes me want to dive in and get to know Sebastian. Love that name =) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to catch up on the tour. Great reviews and I so want to get to know Candra and Sebastian. Thanks to the reviewers and congrats to Carol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the honest review. I've still very interested in it.

    Vivien
    deadtossedwaves at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your review. I am getting a fuller picture of EMBER.

    marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your review! The characters of the book seem very interesting.

    artgiote at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This book sound fantastic! Thanks for the review.
    britneywyatt[at]gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the awesome giveaway!!

    paigebradish@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for participating in the tour. I think Ember sounds like a good read.

    dz59001[at]gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the review! This sounds like a great book!

    e(dot)baker219(at)gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like the plot of the book mostly because there's an angel.
    Thank you for this opportunity.
    micia(at)email(dot(it)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I liked the book!

    amandapedulla21@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great review, I'm getting super excited for this, I totally can't wait to read it. :)

    Jess @ The Midnight Bookworm
    midnightbookworm@live.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the review! Love fast-paced books with mystery.

    candicerjames [at] gmail [dot] com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds awesome! Can't wait to read.
    brandileigh2003@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't wait to read it!

    lauradunks at googlemail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sounds like an awesome book, can't wait to read it:)

    samcarter1022@yahoo.ca

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. We love hearing from readers! To receive notifications of replies to your comments, just click “Notify me” in the bottom right corner of the comment box to subscribe to the thread! :)