Top Social

Book Review: Cold Kiss

Wednesday, September 21, 2011
Title: Cold Kiss
Author: Amy Garvey
Pages: 336
Publisher: HarperTeen (Imprint of Harper Collins)
Buy it: Amazon, B&N, Book Depository

When her boyfriend, Danny, is killed in a car accident, Wren can’t imagine living without him. Wild with grief, she uses the untamed powers she’s inherited to bring him back. But the Danny who returns is just a shell of the boy she once loved.

Wren has spent four months keeping Danny hidden, while her life slowly unravels around her. Then Gabriel DeMarnes transfers to her school and somehow, inexplicably, he can sense her secret. Wren finds herself drawn to Gabriel, who is so much more alive than the ghost of the boy she loved. But Wren can’t turn her back on Danny or the choice she made for him—and she realizes she must find a way to make things right, even if it means breaking her own heart.

Amy Garvey’s transcendent teen debut is perfect for fans of Shiver and Beautiful Creatures. Wren’s unforgettable voice and story will stay with readers long after the last page is turned.

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

I was lucky enough to receive a paperback ARC of Cold Kiss, and the first thing I thought when I had it in front of me (looking delicious) was that the colour was really, really pretty. I know, don't judge a book by its cover, but hey, this one deserved the prettiness it got.

Raising your boyfriend from the dead? Awesome premise. Hook, line, and sinker. I just had to read it.

Let me say, wow, Danny definitely wasn't the kind of zombie I was expecting. I didn't like him much, he was clingy, kind of dull (but hey, he's undead, what did I expect?), and just plain annoying at times. Wren's powers are actually very cool, even though she raised her boyfriend from the dead and her mother refuses to say anything about them, and so is Gabriel's power--even though his is a little on the creepy side.

Cold Kiss was more about emotions than action. It's a new take on paranormal romance and I found it extremely refreshing. The flashbacks gave me just right doses of detail, making me feel a little sorry for Danny at times, while not revealing too much. Along with Gabriel and how sweet he is, Cold Kiss left me wanting the best for all the characters and growing seriously attached.

I'm not happy with the ending, even though it's not bad at all. I don't know if I want a sequel to Cold Kiss, but if Amy Garvey writes anything else, I know I'll definitely be reading it!

Read Kris's review of Cold Kiss!
7 comments on "Book Review: Cold Kiss"
  1. Nice review. I read it too and it seems like the author could go wither way - it ended but there is room for a sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. im all for paranormal romance. The cover gives me shivers (from feelin cold) so i'm hoping to read this soon =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I understand not liking an ending but knowing that you'd definitely pick up the author's next book. I've heard loads about this one and have always found the premise very interesting. This is one that's pretty high on my to-read list.

    Sarah@Random Thoughts of A Confused Adolescent

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not usually one for Zombies in my books, but the emotional aspect of this book makes me want to read it anyway. Great review.!

    Donna @ The Happy Booker

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had this one on my wishlist and am tickled to see that it is so well liked.

    (\___/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

    http://lisaslovesbooksofcourse.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cold Kiss sounds like an awesome read. Wow bringing your boyfriend back to life.

    Added to my TRL. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it when a heroine uses her special powers to save her guy!

    As long as the guy is worth it (I think this book is all about that, isn't it? Figuring out if he's the same person?)

    But a hot guy, Gabriel, with a creepy power? Sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. We love hearing from readers! To receive notifications of replies to your comments, just click “Notify me” in the bottom right corner of the comment box to subscribe to the thread! :)