Top Social

Book Blogger Hop (21)

Friday, September 30, 2011
Book Blogger Hop

“In honor of Banned Books Week, what is your favorite “banned or frequently challenged book”?”

Looking at the 2010-2011 list of banned/challenged books, I'm shocked by the reasons that some of the titles are challenged. I had expected the books to be on there because of the topics they highlight, but for the reasons listed? Not really.

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson is not a book that “glorifies drinking, cursing, and premarital sex.” The books centers on the struggles that a teenage girl goes through after being raped by a guy at her school. Reading it never influenced me to drink, curse, and have premarital sex. You might even say that it resolved my determination never to drink to get drunk, curse just because, or have premarital sex.

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins was challenged "by a parent claiming that it gave her eleven-year-old nightmares and could numb other students to the effects of violence." If reading a single book with violence in it numbed students to the effects of violence, then we should all stop going to the movie theaters, and we should all stop reading any book. And then maybe we should all go see the psychologist because someone's wrong with our heads. The Hunger Games is a powerfully written novel that I and many other readers out there would recommend most everyone reads. It has so much to tell us about society, and at the same time is a book that I really enjoy reading and will continue to read. It's a classic.



** Quotations taken from the 2010-2011 list of banned/challenged books**
3 comments on "Book Blogger Hop (21)"
  1. I agree with you on Speak but i'm not sure about Hunger Games view. anyhow here's my take.
    http://sidnebkclubreviewz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I picked Speak too. It's seriously such a GOOD book! I think it should be on high school reading lists for sure! Old follower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey,

    Hopping through. I have never heard of Speak before but it sounds good. I'm adding it to my TBR list. The Hunger Games was one of my picks too. I can understand that some parents may think it is too violent for younger kids but numbing them against violence is taking it a bit far, particularly when so many kids are playing first person shooting games in the xbox these days!

    Lucy
    http://lily-bookhaven.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. We love hearing from readers! To receive notifications of replies to your comments, just click “Notify me” in the bottom right corner of the comment box to subscribe to the thread! :)