Top Social

Book Review: Delirium

Saturday, August 6, 2011
Title: Delirium
Author: Lauren Oliver
Publisher: HarperTeen (Imprint of Harper Collins)
Pages:
Buy: Amazon, Book Depository
Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the governments demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

I can’t imagine a world without love. That’s probably why Delirium’s a dystopian novel and not real life.

I loved Delirium. Lena and Alex’s love took me on a wondrous ride as they hid from the rest of the society and made the best of what they had. They left me lightheaded after finishing the book with the aftertaste of what they had.

Lauren Oliver’s writing is beautiful. She made my world burst into colour with Lena’s. Her descriptions were so vivid I felt as if I could reach out and touch Alex’s hair. The colour of autumn leaves.

But more than Lauren Oliver’s amazing writing, what I really fell in love with was her characters and the emotions Lena was feeling. Lena was the heroine I loved so much I followed through with her story effortlessly. Though I did feel that she was a bit too predictable at times, running away from Alex, ending up agreeing to run away with him. Alex, I’m not even going to explain why I fell in love with him because he’s plain amazing. The only other character I’m going to mention is Lena’s mom. She’s a real driving force in the story, and even though we never actually “meet” her in this book, I couldn’t help loving her.

Delirium was one of those books where you start reading, and don’t notice you’re reading until you flip the last page. There were parts in the middle where I felt where slightly forced or filler-esque, but the quality of Lauren Oliver’s writing more than made up for it and I found myself diving into the fillers and letting the writing consume me anyway.

However, there are a lot of questions left unanswered in Delirium. How did the world suddenly turn loveless? Why would people even think that way? Hopefully, these questions will be answered in Pandemonium, which, by the way, I can’t wait for!
5 comments on "Book Review: Delirium"
  1. thank you so much for the review. I want to read this so bad, it seems like a must read to me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my reward books. I'm saving it as a reward for finished my next novel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE it when you actually feel things along with a character, and when you see the world through their eyes!

    Thanks for the review:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great! I hope I won't find it predictable. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVED this book too! I gave it 5/5 though...I didn't mind the predictability of Lena b/c I felt like I knew her...I was her. When I finished the book, I knew it could have a sequel but didn't expect it to. It had such a perfect, happy/sad ending. I just loved it! And Alex is an amazing male character you really can't help but love. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. We love hearing from readers! To receive notifications of replies to your comments, just click “Notify me” in the bottom right corner of the comment box to subscribe to the thread! :)