Top Social

Birthday Palooza: Day 2 Challenge

Monday, August 1, 2011
iLive, iLaugh, iLove Books

Today is the 2nd day for Lucia's Birthday Palooza at iLive iLaugh iLove Books. Don't forget to drop by her blog and wish her a happy birthday palooza!!
Day 2 Challenge
I didn't really start reading YA until I began blogging. Before that, I typically only read middle grade (MG) books. Which age level (MG or YA) do you prefer, why, and what are some of your favorite MG books?


I prefer YA books.

Okay, that wasn't always the case. In middle school, I was a HUGE classic reader.

....

Classic to YA? YA to Classic?

I did read YA Fantasy books in middle school, but then I went into a huge classic craze with the goal of eddifying (educating) myself in the old works. I really did enjoy reading classics, but then I read Paranormalcy by Kiersten White and that threw me back into the YA craze. I don't think I'll be getting out of this one again anytime soon!

As for middle-grade books, I don't have anything against them. Recently, I read Huber Hill and the Dead Man's Treasure by B.K. Bostick for review (said review yet to be posted), and I really enjoyed it. In general, middle-grade books just don't have the detail and depth of character/plot development that YA books have due to the length and reading level. (Remember, this is coming from the girl who's read a fair amount of classics during her middle school and early high school years. She likes her details!)

Some of my other favorite middle-grade books are: any Roald Dahl book, the Nancy Drew books, Anne of Green Gables (which doesn't really have a reading level), the Myth-O-Mania books, and any Tamora Pierce book (I read them in middle school, but I'm not sure if they categorize as one. Again, another almost-ageless set of books).
2 comments on "Birthday Palooza: Day 2 Challenge"
  1. Roald Dahl!! Gotta love him. I have Huber Hill for review, too! Have to read that one soon. :o Glad to hear you enjoyed it. Thanks for the post!

    By the way, I'm not doing the linky list thing anymore. It has me confused, haha. so I'm just doing a Tweet/comment thing now. :) No need for blog posts. Easy peasy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was in school I loved reading Roald Dahl, Judy Blume and R.L. Stine in the later years! I love YA because they usually have great characters, storylines, action, and romance, as opposed to sex, which definitely doesn't belong in YA! They are usually just easier and quicker to read than adult books, but more involved than MG books. I love all books, though, and I have a special place in my heart for the classics:) And of course, Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys books!
    jwitt33 at live dot com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. We love hearing from readers! To receive notifications of replies to your comments, just click “Notify me” in the bottom right corner of the comment box to subscribe to the thread! :)