Top Social

ARC Review: Boyfriend From Hell

Wednesday, August 10, 2011
Title: Boyfriend from Hell
Author: E. Van Lowe
Publisher: White Whisker Books
Pages: 280

Fifteen year-old Megan Barnett and her single mom, Suze, have a special relationship—they are friends, close friends, who do almost everything together.

“But come on, guys, she’s my mother… Can I really tell her that while we’re snuggled up on the sofa watching Spider Man Three, I’m secretly undressing James Franco with my eyes? Of course not…”

The special bond takes a turn for the worse when Suze decides to start dating again. She hasn’t had a man in her life since Megan’s father left ten years ago.

Enter two mysterious young men, Megan’s new classmate, sinfully attractive bad boy, Guy Matson, and the dangerously handsome art dealer, Armando. Before long Megan and Suze both wind up in steamy relationships.

But neither of the handsome pair is quite what he seems. In fact, one of them is Satan, with his sights set on a new bride. Megan has precious little time to figure out how to stop him. If she doesn’t, either Megan or Suze are quite literally going to HELL

Boyfriend From Hell was certainly a refreshing read. When I started reading it, I'd never imagined that the "from hell" part would be literal!

The story's interesting, and E. Van Lowe's writing style is easy to read. I found myself whizzing through the pages effortlessly, and soon, I was at the end of the book. Despite having the devil, several life-or-death factors, and lots of paranormalcy involved, Boyfriend From Hell wasn't epic or serious at all. To me, it was a funny and refreshing read I'd read as more of a humour kind of book.

Although Megan's whiny and annoyingly brattish for the first half of the book or so, you can empathise with her and later, when we find out about the devil, almost feel as if the brattishness was justified. I loved Megan even though she was whiny throughout the first half. I especially loved the trivia she tossed in (thank you, I didn't know that Wednesday Addams was named "Wednesday" because of the poem Monday's Child).

The ending was a surprise for me. The twists at the end with both Guy and Matt shocked me, as I'd been led to believe otherwise. But overall, the ending concludes nicely, with just enough questions left open for a sequel, and leaving me with a newfound hate of Erin.

Overall, Boyfriend From Hell was a refreshing read I polished off in one afternoon. It's an easy, breezy read that I'd love to curl up with on the beach or in a huge, furry recliner.


Check it out. Boyfriend From Hell is on tour (I'm the first stop!)
9 comments on "ARC Review: Boyfriend From Hell"
  1. I haven't heard this title, but Im interested. I love funny reads. Thanks for letting me know this title.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! It was a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, haven't heard of the title but it seems awfully interesting! Hehe, can't wait! Great review!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed your review! I have seen this book but haven't read a review yet. I'm glad you liked it, and you made me want to read it, too :) Great job!!
    jwitt33 at live dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Review! Thanks, I added this book to my wishlist:) I would love to read this book!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The humour and lack of serious in such a subject sounds intriguing. I fresh take on the subject.

    Laura xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing about this interesting read. I will admit when I saw the title my first thought was to pass - but I think you have changed my mind:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. great review. This book sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The title got me and your summary sounds really intersting!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. We love hearing from readers! To receive notifications of replies to your comments, just click “Notify me” in the bottom right corner of the comment box to subscribe to the thread! :)