Top Social

Review: Sorta Like a Rock Star by Matthew Quick

Sunday, July 10, 2011
5 Stars: An Incredible Read
Paperback: 355 Pages
Publication: May 3, 2011 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

Amber Appleton lives in a bus. Ever since her mom's boyfriend kicked them out, Amber, her mom, and her totally loyal dog, Bobby Big Boy (aka Thrice B) have been camped out in the back of Hello Yellow (the school bus her mom drives). Still, Amber, the self-proclaimed princess of hope and girl of unyielding optimism, refuses to sweat the bad stuff. But when a fatal tragedy threatens Amber's optimism--and her way of life, can Amber continue to be the rock star of hope? With an oddball cast of characters, and a heartwarming, inspiring story, this novel unveils a beautifully beaten-up world of laughs, loyalty, and hard-earned hope.

Amber Appleton sleeps in the bus that her mom drives with only her dog Thrice B for company. Despite her unfortunate circumstances, Amber is a very optimistic girl. She leads her group of friends and stands up for what she believes is right.

There is definitely language in this book. At first, I found it hard to read because I wasn't familiar with the sort of life that Amber leads as her story is geared towards younger readers, but as I read, I found her growing on me. Amber talks like a teen, thinks like a teen, and acts like a teen. It's natural, and it makes her more relatable as you get to know her.

I love Amber's optimistic view on life. It's very inspiring and makes you want to go out there and serve your community. The people with whom she interacts are very real and have their own stories. It's hard to say who's my favorite character, but if I had to name one, it would definitely be Amber. She's the girl you want to be--in nature if not circumstances.

I felt like I lived with her during her depression, and I yearned for her to get back up on her feet. She's helped so many people, she deserves to have good karma. This is a beautiful story about a quirky girl that lives life as it should be led. You will laugh, you will cry, and above all, you will be inspired to become... well, sorta like a rock star.

Thanks so much to Matthew Quick for sending me a copy of this book. I really enjoyed reading it. I recommend Sorta Like a Rock Star for tween readers looking for an inspiring read.

Add/Buy

A copy of this book was provided by the author.
Post Comment
Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. We love hearing from readers! To receive notifications of replies to your comments, just click “Notify me” in the bottom right corner of the comment box to subscribe to the thread! :)