Top Social

Review: Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

Tuesday, July 19, 2011
5 Stars: An Incredible Read /Keeper
Hardback: 470 Pages
Publication: October 25, 2011 by Harper Teen

What if you had only one day to live? What would you do? Who would you kiss? And how far would you go to save your own life?

Samantha Kingston has it all: the world's most crush-worthy boyfriend, three amazing best friends, and first pick of everything at Thomas Jefferson High—from the best table in the cafeteria to the choicest parking spot. Friday, February 12, should be just another day in her charmed life.

Instead, it turns out to be her last.

Then she gets a second chance. Seven chances, in fact. Reliving her last day during one miraculous week, she will untangle the mystery surrounding her death—and discover the true value of everything she is in danger of losing.

Samantha Kingston has it all: the world's most crush-worthy boyfriend, three amazing best friends, and first pick of everything at Thomas Jefferson High School- from the best table in the cafeteria to the choicest parking spot. And an attitude to match.

While she lives a pretty normal lifestyle, we can't relate to her at all because she's spoiled and can't understand why she can't act like she rules the school. After all, she hasn't done anything wrong as far as she can see. At first, readers will be repulsed by her. Some will shut off, but some may continue reading just to see what happens- to see if she changes.

I did. And I loved the book.

Lauren Oliver intentionally creates Sam to be an un-relatable character at the beginning. Readers need to see her the way she is at first because they need to see how reliving her last day affects her, changes her. It gives us hope. That no matter what mistakes we make, it's never too late to change.

Initially a story about another unfortunate accident for a teenage snob, Before I Fall comes to tell the story of a girl who grows to realize how horrible she's been and to accept that sometimes having it all isn't that great, not compared to what we might have if we only open our hearts.

Before I Fall is slow to develop; frustrating and heart-wrenching, it forces you to question if you'd regret your life should you die today.

Add/Buy

7 comments on "Review: Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver"
  1. Great review! I recently read Lauren Oliver's Delirium (which I loved!) and if the writing for Before I Fall is anything like it than I should really grab a copy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should!! I confess that while I loved DELIRIUM, BEFORE I FALL is so much more emotionally charged. It's my favorite of the two :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read this because it looks so depressing, but after your review...

    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I seriously want to read this book so badly. It sounds like such a...profound novel. I really enjoyed Delirium, but everyone (as some above did) always seems to mention that they like this one just a bit more. I'm super curious about it! One day I will get my hands on it...

    -KaliS

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard such amazing things about this book, and I'm curious. However, having a character be unrelatable at all is likely to bore me. I may check it out from the library, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this great review. I have been wanting to read this book but have been holding off on it. I think I will have to move this up on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an amazing book. I hope that you enjoy it!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting. We love hearing from readers! To receive notifications of replies to your comments, just click “Notify me” in the bottom right corner of the comment box to subscribe to the thread! :)