Top Social

Book Blogger Hop (9)

Friday, July 1, 2011
Book Blogger Hop
What keeps you reading beyond the first few pages of a book, and what makes you want to stop reading a book and put it back on the shelf?

I usually like to give books a chance, so if the plot looks interesting but undeveloped beyond the first few pages of a book, I will keep reading. I don't read books whose plot summaries don't appeal to me. Still, there are some traits that will make me put a book back on the shelf.
  1. Writing style: if the author has a writing style that doesn't appeal to me, if the first few pages don't draw me in, if the first few pages bore me and a quick skim-through tells me that I might not like the rest of the book.
  2. Character: if the main character repulses me, if I can't relate to the main character (I do like to give the MC a chance, so it's not often that I stop reading because of character)
  3. Dialogue: if the dialogue is horrible, it'll probably remain that way to the end (this category also falls under writing style)
  4. Language: if the book is riddled with foul language, I'll stop reading immediately
  5. Book genre: if it's erotic or horror or thriller, I will stop reading immediately

So then...

What keeps me reading beyond the first few pages of a book?
A killer hook into the first few pages will keep me reading, wondering what will happen next. A brilliant writing style that compensates for something that irritates me, like a main character that I initially find hard to relate to. The author's name--if I liked his/her previous works, I'm bound to like this book (not that name matters much. If I liked his/her work, I'm already hooked into the book!)

I will also continue reading if it's a buzz book. If everyone's talking about it, the author must have done something right! So if a story takes a while to start, but everyone's talking about how amazing it is, I'll give the story a chance. I usually end up liking the book.

The biggest factor though is the story. I love stories filled with meaning and heartache just as much as I love stories filled with action and keep me turning the pages as fast as I can read. If there's a good story behind the pages, I will keep reading to the end.

post signature
9 comments on "Book Blogger Hop (9)"
  1. I don't know why I keep reading a book. It's not the story. It's not the characters. I really don't know!

    I'm hopping by to tell you that I've got a wonderful giveaway going on at my blog, Readerbuzz. It's international! During the Readerbuzz July Giveaway I'll be giving away a $25 Amazon gift card! I'd love to have you stop in and throw your name in the hat to win!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These book blogger hop questions just get better and better. This one looks easy but I think it’s a trick question. We all know it’s the same answer – the writing – but we all have different perspectives of what good writing is.

    Hop on over to my blog at http://www.howardsherman.net and read my three-prong answer as I explain why I’ll decide to pick up a book or put it down in under sixty seconds.

    Happy July 4th Weekend!

    Howard Sherman, Implementor
    http://www.howardsherman.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopping through. I'm with you on foul language. I don't mind if a book has swear words, but I hate books that just have them there to be edgy. It needs to fit with the plot and characters. But still, it doesn't have to be constant.
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  4. Writing style - definitely! That was my answer, too. About genre: why would you even pick it up if it was a genre you don't read? Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very thorough answer! Hopping by to say "have a great weekend!"

    GraceKrispy@MotherLode blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I'm returning your visit- love your layout! I agree with you about buzz books- I hate to be behind on something everyone else has read!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Follow Friday! I am a follower! Hope you will stop by http://EmmaMichaels.Blogspot.com

    Sincerely,
    Emma Michaels

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stopping by via Crazy-For-Book's Blog Hop. I'm following your blog.

    I'm having a giveaway on my blog this weekend so please stop by!

    Holjo @ Pedantic Phooka
    www.pedanticphooka.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    I'm the same way! I love a good beginning!
    And beautiful blog!

    New Follower!!

    ~Happy Reading!~
    www.abookaddictshaven.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. We love hearing from readers! To receive notifications of replies to your comments, just click “Notify me” in the bottom right corner of the comment box to subscribe to the thread! :)