Top Social

Follow Friday (7)

Friday, June 17, 2011


Genre Wars! What's your favorite genre and which book made it your favorite?

I've been talking about something like this recently with my friends. To tell the truth, I don't exactly have a favorite genre. (As long as they aren't too horrifying or gory, I read anything.) I can tell you what got me reading what.

It's widely known that Twilight started the paranormal craze. I read it, but it didn't get me into vampires and werewolves and all that. After I finished reading it, I went back to fantasy and adventure where romance remained a side plot. (Not that Twilight isn't a bad book. Stephenie Meyer had to do something right to get Twilight where it is now. In general, I just like to see the plot centering on something other than romance.) It wasn't until I read Paranormalcy this past year that I fell in love with the paranormal genre and began reading more buzz books.

Others:
Sarah Dessen got me reading Contemporary with Just Listen (which also got me on a Sarah Dessen craze!). Tamora Pierce got me reading Fantasy with Alanna: The First Adventure.

As for Dystopian, I can't really place a finger on the one author, but two stunning Dystopian authors are Suzanne Collins with The Hunger Games and Veronica Roth with Divergent (by the way, the title for the second book has been announced. Insurgent. I love the ring to it and how it pairs with the title of the first book. Divergent.... Insurgent....

How about you? Who got you reading what?
post signature
5 comments on "Follow Friday (7)"
  1. Happy Friday! Picking a favorite genre is hard.

    New follower! Jen @ A Reader's Journey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there new follower here from the hop! Love your blog! :)

    I'm a fan of a lot of different genres too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. New follower! Happy reading, friend!

    Nikki @ Books Most Wanted

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! New follower! Paranormal and Fantasy are both great genres! Happy Friday! Hugs, J

    ReplyDelete
  5. Asking me to Pick my favorite genre is like asking me to pick my favorite food; There's no way I can come up with just one answer!

    Follow me back to my blog and I'll explain - http://www.howardsherman.net

    Thank G-d it's Follow Friday!

    Howard Sherman
    http://www.howardsherman.net

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. We love hearing from readers! To receive notifications of replies to your comments, just click “Notify me” in the bottom right corner of the comment box to subscribe to the thread! :)