Top Social

Book Review: Divergent

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Title: Divergent
Author: Veronica Roth
Publisher: Katherine Tegen (Imprint of Harper Collins)
Pages: 487
Buy: Amazon, Book Depository
In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

Debut author Veronica Roth bursts onto the literary scene with the first book in the Divergent series—dystopian thrillers filled with electrifying decisions, heartbreaking betrayals, stunning consequences, and unexpected romance.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her.


I loved this book. I didn’t like the cover all that much at first, but then it grew on me. There was so much hype about Divergent that I was certain it’d never live up to it. I thought it’d just be another Hunger Games wannabe. How wrong I was.

It was confusing at first, all the factions were thrown straight in my face and I had no idea what the hell an “Abnegation” was. Or a Candor. Or Amity… well, you get my point. There was also this part in the beginning after Tris’s test. She went home early, but somehow, nobody saw her and she just went Poof! Straight from the testing room to walking back home. But her brother, Caleb, came back from the testing room after his test.

One of the things that made this book awesome were its characters. I loved Tris, right from the beginning, which was a good thing, since I was following her through the book. This is going to sound weird, but I loved her tattoos and what they meant to her. Speaking of tattoos, one of the things that I’d like to find out more about in Divergent’s sequel, is the Dauntless who administered the test on Tris. I feel as if there’s something more to her, that she’ll be important later on.

Four also has a special place in my heart. I must admit though, I think “Four” suits him more than “Tobias.” He’s so cool. I like him as much as I hate Marcus, which would be a lot. The Marcus-really-did-hurt-Tobias twist was an unexpected one, and who’d have thought the Abnegation leader was this kind of person? I think Marcus is going to appear again and play a bigger role in the future, and I don’t want to see more of him—I keep picturing him as a middle-aged man with a butt-chin who looks like Severus Snape.

I practically screamed “WHAT?! WHY?” when Tris’s parents died. Even though I knew that I’d probably laugh at the whole story if nobody had died, I still couldn’t stand reading it without some sort of spaz attack. For some reason, I didn’t have that much of a reaction when Will died, even though I saw more of him than Tris’s parents.

I stayed up until 3am reading Divergent. That’s just how good it is. There’s nothing fancy or pretty about Veronica Roth’s writing, but the simplicity works, and if it were all pretty, I don’t think I’d love it as much as I do. It makes it so there’s this driving need to read more, read faster without long-winded descriptions slowing me down.

Even if you feel like you’re going to puke at the sight of yet another dystopia, try Divergent. I didn’t even think about stopping until I was finished (and that happened to be in the wee hours of the morning). And when I did finish, I nearly threw a hissy fit 'cause I remembered the sequel wasn't out yet. Veronica Roth’s dystopia is different. I can guarantee that, as can the ridiculous hype Divergent has over the net.

Oh, by the way, I took the Facebook faction quiz.
It tells me, I am Dauntless. I am brave.

43 comments on "Book Review: Divergent"
  1. I haven't read the Divergent yet. I just bought it.It has very beautiful story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a great review! I haven't read Divergent yet, but with every review I read I am more determined than ever to actually get it and read it! Thanks for helping me make the decision:)
    jwitt33 at live dot com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I commented, but I'm afraid it didn't show up so I'm going to leave it again. If it does show up eventually, just delete one! Every time I read a review of this book it makes me want to read it more, and your review has made reading it a must! Thanks so much for an awesome review :)
    jwitt33 at live dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not read this book, but have been following it around the blogs and it seems that most folks really are enjoying it. Thank you for sharing today. I have not read much dystopian and I want to start with something that is really good and appreciate your views.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds amazing, I really wnat to read it. I loved the Hunger Games Trilogy, and am hungry for more futuristic adventures such as that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww! It is so painful for me read this! I didn´t read this book yet and I can´t wait for it! It didn´t occur to me compare this book with Hunger Games... Anyway I´m glad that Divergent isn´t like second Hunger Games... Thanks for this review♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can wait to read this book great review

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read the book yet but I have read some reviews on it and they seemed to differ on what the reviewers thought of it.

    Partly because of this, I would like to read the book mnyself to make up my own mind.

    Carol T

    buddytho {at} gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh gosh, another glowing review! I seriously need to read Divergent. I enjoyed reading your thoughts and am so glad you enjoyed it. Haha, I especially enjoyed your comment near the end: "Even if you feel like you’re going to puke at the sight of yet another dystopia, try Divergent."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lol. You almost threw a hissy fit?

    My favourite line is the one from the Dauntless manifesto.

    I believe in the ordinary acts of courage, the kind that drives one man to stand up for another.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't read the book but I've seen the hype surrounding it, and like you, I'm pretty skeptical about the book right now. However, from your glowing review, I would love to find out if I'd love it as much as you do, especially since I have a hard time getting into dystopian novel (still haven't finished The Hunger Games trilogy nor Delirium)

    ReplyDelete
  12. kristina shieldsJuly 26, 2011 at 9:50 AM

    great rewiew. this book sounds great and everyone really seems to like it, especially Four. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great review! I like dystopian books and was wondering how this one was and your review makes me want to read it even more!

    susanw28 (at) mindspring (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great review heard so much about it all over book blogs! I can't wait to read it thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have heard so many great things about it. I have been on the library wait list forever and I am dying to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It sounds amazing! And I prefer a simpler writing style, rather than one that has been "prettified." Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't think I've read anything bad about this book. I have to read it for sure! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great review- I've been looking for other YA's with this type of premise

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ditto here. Every reviewer has raved about this book.


    (\___/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

    alterlisa AT yahoo DOT com
    http://lisaslovesbooksofcourse.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Divergent is truly an amazing read! It may be Veronica Roth's first book but this is far from a neophyte YA book. It was captivating, intriguing, brutal, action-packed and violent filled book that would rival the Hunger Games. In this book we see Beatrice molded into the strong heroine Tris. The way the author wove it together with her descriptions and narratives made me see the beauty of this book regardless of its flaws in this dystopic Chicago society. Truly a cut above the rest, it would blow you away!
    A fantastic book that is thought provoking and has lingering effects that keeps you wanting for more.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh wow...I have to agree....Divergent seems like an awesome book. Can't wait to get my hands on it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful review. :) Thank you. I sure hope I can get a chance to read it soon.

    ChiKittie(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Amazing review!
    I can't wait to read Divergent! Glad to know all the hype was true!
    princessintears AT gmail DOT com
    X

    ReplyDelete
  24. wonderful review but there are spoooooilers!!! :D (honestly, they made me want read this book even more :D)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Awzum review! Wish I'll get a copy soon!

    ReplyDelete
  26. It sounds like an amazing read!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for the review. It sounds like a very interesting book.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great review!! I am SO excited to read this one! Sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Awesome review. I really want to read this book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. It's the best book of this year. Girls you HAVE to read it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Dystopian stories are my favorite! Can't wait to read :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm glad to hear that you liked it as well. I really haven't heard a bad thing about this book yet and it's good to know that it's not just a Hunger Games copycat.

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  33. After reading Hunger Games I've been really into dystopian. Can't wait to read this one!

    Shahira

    ReplyDelete
  34. I've been wanting to read this book before it was released but still haven't had the chance. Your review is great & makes me want to go read it now, lol!

    Saba M.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Haven't had a chance to read it yet, but after all the hype, I'm hoping to get my hands on it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Great review, I've been hearing awesome things about this all over the place and it makes me super excited to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Awesome review! I have heard a lot of good things about this book too but they were all from people that I trust so I really want to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Fantastic review! At first when I was reading the spoilers I became annoyed, thinking I was going to read something I really shouldn't, but I was so intrigued, I couldn't help but read on.

    So glad it is as good as the Hunger Games, but not another HG.

    Laura x

    ReplyDelete
  39. I´m this book right now and I really really love it! It so great! So I definitely agree with you!
    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Loved your review. I too stayed up late reading this book. I didn't think I'd love it as much as I did but from the getgo it had me hooked. And I'm so happy Veronica had her character's with tattoos. Especially the meaning behind the ones we read about. I also took the Facebook quiz. I am Amity. Hmmmm . . . I didn't think I was a peacemaker lol!

    ReplyDelete
  41. This book blew my mind. Some people say that this is the new Hunger Games, but I personally think it's better. I have never read a book that literally stunned me, for a minute after I finished reading it i just sat there basking in the amazingness of this book. I loved the characters (especially Four) and the plot was wonderful. My ultimate favorite part of this book was Tris' voice.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Divergent is one of the best books I've ever read! It was my first on dystopian genre, and I loved it so much! I liked every character, but Four was my favorite :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. We love hearing from readers! To receive notifications of replies to your comments, just click “Notify me” in the bottom right corner of the comment box to subscribe to the thread! :)