Top Social

Review: Angelfire by Courtney Allison Moulton

Wednesday, May 11, 2011
5 Stars: An Epic Read
Series: Angelfire #1
Hardcover: 453 Pages
Publication: February 15, 2011 by Katherine Tegen Books

First there are nightmares.
Every night Ellie is haunted by terrifying dreams of monstrous creatures that are hunting her, killing her.

Then come the memories.
When Ellie meets Will, she feels on the verge of remembering something just beyond her grasp. His attention is intense and romantic, and Ellie feels like her soul has known him for centuries. On her seventeenth birthday, on a dark street at midnight, Will awakens Ellie's power, and she knows that she can fight the creatures that stalk her in the grim darkness. Only Will holds the key to Ellie's memories, whole lifetimes of them, and when she looks at him, she can no longer pretend anything was just a dream.

Now she must hunt.
Ellie has power that no one can match, and her role is to hunt and kill the reapers that prey on human souls. But in order to survive the dangerous and ancient battle of the angels and the Fallen, she must also hunt for the secrets of her past lives and truths that may be too frightening to remember.

It's not hard to see why Angelfire has been drawing so much buzz. The action plus Ellie's kickass attitude makes it an appealing book to guys, and her relationship with the hot and mysterious (and entirely swoon-worthy) Will is an added bonus for girls.

Ellie is a strong, independent female lead, a one-of-a-kind girl that I've been missing in recent YA releases. Yes, she will mess up during real fights with Reapers out to get her, but she can seriously kick Will's butt in practice fights. All she needs to do is figure out the Preliator business, and she'll deal serious damage to the Reapers. She'll become the hunter and they the prey. At the moment, she's still a really funny girl with a sweet and sensitive nature underneath her tough exterior.

I do have this nagging suspicion that there's more to the whole dad business. Ellie's depression over her jerk of a dad seems unreal, and I don't get how a guy can change so much all of a sudden. I think the Reapers have infiltrated her house. That's the only possible explanation that I can think of (unless they found a way to brainwash good dads).

Will. I love him just as much as I love Ellie and maybe just a tad bit more because... well, he's Will. Hot Will with a passionate heart concealed under the impassive mask he wears. It doesn't hurt that he's Ellie's sworn guardian and completely devoted to her. I really, really hope that they manage to stay together throughout the saving-the-world business. They've both suffered enough already, Will more-so in that he still remembers each of Ellie's lives that he's lived through while she's still struggling to remember everything.

Angelfire is a fast-paced read abundant in action while not lacking in hilarious moments or heart-touching romance. I recommended this book for those who love books with angels. For those who love books with action. And for those who love books with romance. Courtney Allison Moulton's debut novel is a must read. I can't wait to read Wings of the Wicked, the next installment in the trilogy!

Add/Buy

20 comments on "Review: Angelfire by Courtney Allison Moulton"
  1. I love the review I can't wait to get my hands on this book

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that Ellie is strong and confident! That makes her love for Will so much more meaningful. It's not that she needs him so she loves him. It sounds like her love for him and his for her is independent of all that!

    And how cool that it's a story that boys would also like!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really glad you enjoyed it! Were you freaked out by the beginning at all??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review!!! I love this series!!! I think Ellie and will are awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Samjam: Freaked out by a Reaper coming out of nowhere, maybe, but they make for great battle scenes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! I love books with kick-ass heroines - definitely my type of story!

    Thanks,
    Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome review. I love that Ellie is a strong female. I love stories like that. i can't wait to read the next book!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh, I must read this! Ellie seems like a heroine i'd love! Plus reapers are awesome, so it's a win-win. :D Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love a female lead who is strong. I'm sort of sick of females who can't defend themselves and need a guy to come save the day in the books I've been reading lately. For that reason alone, I will definitely check this book out. I'm also super into angel books right now, so this works out perfectly. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved Ellie so much. I loved that she could fight her own battles and didn't ditch her friends for Will as soon as he came along.
    It also got its angel mythology correct, which made me very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOw.. Reapers:) aaand i seriously need to read this! Seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great review! This sounds just like my kind of book with a great romance (no love triangles?) and action-packed.

    Ning @ Reading by Kindle Fire

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good review, sounds like a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVED this book! Soooo good! Can't wait for the next!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Five out of Five stars and a hot boy and a strong female independent female...enough said I need to check this book out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree, this is definitely a five star read, and I love Will too! Great review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. i'm waiting this book will be translated in indonsian language...but the waiting is too long..so i bought the book in english version...and i love it !!
    great book...

    ReplyDelete
  18. 5 stars! This book sounds really good. :) I feel like I am one of the only ones who hasn't read it yet, so I will soon. Thanks for the review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can't wait to read this book I just got it on my nook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I hope that you love it as much as I did!!!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting. We love hearing from readers! To receive notifications of replies to your comments, just click “Notify me” in the bottom right corner of the comment box to subscribe to the thread! :)