Top Social

Review: Carrier of the Mark by Leigh Fallon

Thursday, April 28, 2011

3 Stars: A Good Read
Series: Carrier #1
Paperback: 352 Pages
Publication: Octoer 4, 2011 by Harper Teen

A move to Ireland is about to introduce Megan to her destiny, her real destiny, can she embrace it and will she survive it?

A tragedy in Megan’s past set her on a predetermined course. A chain of events has been set in motion that brings Megan to Kinsale, a small town in the south of Ireland where her destiny awaits her. Her life starts to fall into place as she makes new friends and settles into her new school. However, the reclusive and distant Adam DeRís calls to her body and soul.

She finds herself increasingly drawn to Adam and his strange family. Adam knows a secret from her past and he and his family hold the key to her future. A future that binds her to Adam and his world, a world of power, mystery and ancient orders. A world that unbeknownst to her, she very much belongs in.

The story follows Megan following her move to Kinsale, Ireland for her father's new job at a marina. Leigh introduces the characters in a wonderful manner from Megan showing her father how to work the 'wonders of technology' to bumping into Caitlin and catching the deliciously hot Adam staring at her on the first day of school. (Okay, Adam staring comes second, but I'm listing it last to place more emphasis on hot Adam.) Leigh has a light-hearted writing style, and you can see her humor mix in with Megan's thoughts as she adjusts to Irish lingo and Irish life in general.

From the first chapters, I fell in love with Kinsale. Leigh does a fabulous job of describing the place while building the tension surrounding Megan's instant chemistry with Adam and the development of the mystery surrounding the DeRís family. Her attraction to Adam is all too understandable because of his looks, but Leigh has another explanation for it, one that I'm going to have to leave out so as not to spoil the surprise.

Adam may appear to be aloof and unapproachable at first, but the reader will find in him a passionate, charming young man with a level head that will cease to listen to reason should harm threaten to come to those he loves. His sister Áine has a wonderful sense of humor. I'm certain that I had a silly smile on my face during her appearances. And as for the rest of the family, I'm going to leave it with there's a lot more beneath the surface than one would initially think, and I grew to love each member of the family.

Leigh has created another kind of paranormal. It's one that we may have seen in another form, to be fair, but she's incorporated a mythology and ancient orders into it. Her use of imagery isn't especially ornate or embellished, but her words are mesmerizing and filled with a simple beauty.

While her powers excite Megan at first, presenting her the opportunity of growing closer to Adam, they threaten to tear her away from him at the same time. Love is never easy, especially when your partner comes from the same breed as you in The Carrier of the Mark. The battle for love and the protection of order in the world will be a long and heartbreaking journey for Megan and her friends.

Add/Buy

Related Posts
Interview with Leigh Fallon & Hikari's review of Carrier of the Mark
  

I won an ARC in a competition at the author's site.
post signature
7 comments on "Review: Carrier of the Mark by Leigh Fallon"
  1. Awesome I really want this book

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool concept!

    And I love the take on Irish mythology, and the fact that it's easy to connect with the heroine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want this book! Part of me doesn't even care if this book is good or not because I think the cover is so beautiful, and I just want it on my bookshelf..but every review says it is really good, so that's a bonus! I really like YA books that integrate some mythology in them, so I think I'll like this book every bit as much as you have. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard such good things about this one and it does sound amazing. :) It's been on my TBR pile for ages but the thing that's putting me off, is that it's not available in hardcover. :( I REALLY hope they re-release it in that format.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The characters are fun, and the plot is unique, though the writing isn't as elaborate and descriptive as the works I typically read. I wish people would stop comparing it to Twilight. The only similarity I see is the hot, aloof family with special powers. :)

      Carrier of the Mark was published in paperback first, so I doubt it's going to be published in hardback.

      Delete
  5. I wasn't completely blown away by this book, but I did love the setting. The characters kind of annoyed me, but I agree that it is a unique take on the paranormal. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. It isn't mind-blowing, and the writing isn't as descriptive as I normally like--however, i really liked the unique setting and the unique take on paranormal. It was pretty different from all the other paranormal books being published at the time.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting. We love hearing from readers! To receive notifications of replies to your comments, just click “Notify me” in the bottom right corner of the comment box to subscribe to the thread! :)